4 Point/Pillar Trim question

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Karen Fletcher, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Offline

Karen Fletcher Active Member

Tom, is this a 4 point trim? If so, what are the benefits here-what made you choose to use it?
    Is that WLD? What's your plan to overcome that?

tom3.jpg

tom2.jpg

Is this hoof you're working on?

tom1.jpg
  2. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

No.

It is not a 4 point trim nor does it incorporate any aspects of that protocol in any way shape or form.

I trimmed the wall until I had a solid bearing surface for the shoe. The toe is trimmed to accommodate the full web rocker in the toe of the shoe. The full web rocker is set to capture additional bearing surface from the dorsal wall that would otherwise be left unsupported if the shoe was set back or supported with excessive leverage if the shoe was set full to the toe.

In the strict definition, no. There is separation at the white line and that area contains bacteria and fungus, but the stratum medium of the hoof wall is not affected, therefore it is not WLD.

The purple stuff is Durasole. It kills bacteria and fungus and hardens the laminar horn by crosslinking formalin with keratin in a polymer chain reaction.

Yes. That is the same foot as the one in the trim picture. The foot is shod with the same shoe as in the shoe picture. It is a deep seated, full web rocker, egg bar with a setdown/relieved bar to provide space for the prolapsed frog. The frog projects below the ground surface of the shoe.

The horse wore this package for a few cycles and then went to a similar egg bar shoe with a frog support plate - a heart/eggbar shoe. I was able to use the heart bar to support the frog because after two cycles in the above pictured shoe the frog was no longer prolapsed. Instead the frog was even with the heels and the sole went from convex to concave.

Currently the horse is wearing a full support heart/egg bar shoe with R. Steele leather pads and a custom blended hoof packing blended by Ray Steele at my request.

This horse is 18.1 hands and weighs about 1,600lbs. He has a size 4 foot - which is about 2 sizes too small for his conformation. His hoof horn is very soft and very susceptible to spreading and prolapsing in a wet environment. He lives on ground that is usually wet and poorly drained.
  3. Offline

Mary Ann RaySteeleDaveHallEricRussellTravisDupreeReed Fan

WOW Karen - whose horse is that? Why is your camera so blurry? Who is doing the shoeing? Needs some help for sure.

ETA: The ignore feature on this board makes it impossible for me to see the posts of some. So I thought this was a horse Karen and I knew.
  4. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

The one I did today is similar. Same environment, same hoof condition, draft cross. I've put a very light rocker on him, wonder if I should do more. However, owner will not pay for more than the flat shoeing job. They often let the horse go 10 weeks, because I've told them after 10 weeks it's more money.
  5. Offline

Kim, get a vet in your corner to advocate for the horse's interest. If not, walk away. You really don't want to build you business on clients that neglect their horses basic care in order to save money. Once you get stick in that pit you'll never dig your way out.
  6. Offline

Hi, MA. These are Tom's pics. I asked him about it in the sacred farrier section, and was invited to ask him a question down here.
  7. Offline

Tom, I meant the fungus and bacteria which is commonly known as WLD-incorrectly.
  8. Offline

"Down" here?
  9. Offline

[IMG]

Looks like a big crease/groove in the lateral wall - just above the bruise - someone out of balance?? Laterally sunk?? Why is the toe lopped off so much and the horse so down on his heel???

Really poor pics -
  10. Offline

11. Offline

Ohhh! I see!!! Never mind on my questions or comments.

We are back to the "us - them" stuff. Sigh.

:) Nice to see Kim here - she is an owner too ya know!! :p LOL

I wanted to quote something from your Duckett article (if it is OK with you Karen)

Duckett seemed to regard owners pretty well - he even tailored his presentations to them - why he even put them first:

Recently, too many people are approaching me with negative comments on the Four Point Trim. It is not only distracting but quite disturbing when I have to define these issues and clarify techniques as a prelude to the presentations that I give to horse owners, farriers and veterinarians.
  12. Offline

Does it look like a big crease/grove in the side view of the same foot?

Maybe it's just some dirt that wasn't rasped off when finishing the foot and when photographed at an acute angle with poor light, low contrast, and digital noise it looks like a crease instead of just a darker colored section of hoof.

M/L balanced per radiographs is spot on.

No. Vertically sunk to the point of prolapsing.

To fit a full web rocker toe shoe requires to toe to be trimmed with the same rocker.

Yea, it sucks goobers as a camera, but it's a great phone for doing what phones are supposed to do.

If you really want to talk photography then I suggest you go to this forum - http://photo.net/
  13. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Mary Ann,

Tom Bloomer answered as was asked by Karen, you seem, to my reading to have another agenda, I don't remember photo quality, perceived regards to/of horse owners etc. being part of the topic. Please remove your posts,or I will.

Ray Steele
  14. Offline

Clint Burrell Active Member

Karen,
    I use a variation of a 4-point trim, of course I didn't know that's what it was called at the time. Back then I "just trimed the horse".
  15. Offline

Yes his frustration in having to define, explain and clarify . . . results from people doing the exact same thing you are seeing happen on this forum. Lazy people make work for other people. Somebody has to clean up their mess - especially when they put it in front of the public where it might inspire more of the same disinformation.
  16. Offline

Clint, in your honor, the next time somebody asks me if I use the mustang roll with my barefoot trim, I'm gonna tell them my trim is better because I use the original "Burrell Roll(TM)." Ya gotta admit it sounds really cool. ;)
  17. Offline

Clint, what do you find useful with the 4 point trim, and , not so useful?
  18. Offline

Between that and Ray Knightly's "Clints flats" on his shoeing box, I might give Horseshoes Unlimited a run for it's money sometime in the next 20-30 years.
    Woo Hoo!

I also get a kick out of the "pasture trim" phrase.

Side note, If they get sore w/ a "Burrell Roll" , at least they'll be busy on the net trying to figgure out who it is and leaving you alone.
  19. Offline

Other people applying it.

Other people applying it.

Not all horses get trimmed "flat". Not to be confused w/ "level". Ask Rick B. what he would say.
  20. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........