AFA Convention 2014

Discussion in 'Horseshoeing Competitions and Handmade Horseshoes' started by Michael Allen, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Offline

Michael Allen Champion spokesman for UK toolmaker!

Well it is right around the corner. The end of Feb. Any here planning on attending? I think I will head out this year it is kind of close (
    in Reno this year.

I have not had a chance to see the list of speakers yet. However, that does not matter much because most thing run concurrent with the contest.
  2. Offline

Jack Evers Active Member

I'll likely go out Michael
  3. Offline

Will you fly or drive over? Brian B. and his new wife said they would drive over with all the forging stations from Colorado. So I am going to fly I think, still trying to talk my wife into going. But ever since Rotchester, NY, She has avoided convention like its the plauge. I cant blame her that was horrible.
  4. Offline

Jack Evers Active Member

Haven't decided, sort of a tossup. I may stay with friends there which would mean renting a car if I flew. Last time it was there, I drove out so I could stay and ski a bit, but my orthopod doesn't want me downhill skiing on my aftermarket hip. With someone to share driving, I'd drive. Figure $250 or so on gas. Flying, I still have to drive to Denver and back.

Curious, I didn't care for Rochester, the layout, the downtown area or the weather, but what bothered your wife as a non convention participant?
  5. Offline

david a hall Moderator

I like the look of the line up, Dr Renate Weller is a must see, she is one of the most interesting speakers in the world, very entertaining and an academic who is pro farriers. Jeof Thomosan is brilliant to, and Chris Pardoe an ordinary farrier who did an extraordinary thing, he did the trade proud by doing a PHD.
  6. Offline

Jack, she did not feel safe. It was not a good town for famlies. I was out of the truck for two seconds to talk to the parking fellow and three guys banged on the window asking for money. My wife was timmid then. I dont think big towns like that are a good place to put several horseshoers. Several folks from CO had there rooms broken into and things stolen.
  7. Offline

David Are you coming over? I can find you a station if you want in the contest.
  8. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Michael, thank you, I am not over no, it is my aim to come one day but not this year I have a few things that are pressing, and as you know you cant do it all!!
  9. Offline

20140103_185338.jpg 20140103_184612.jpg 20140103_191708.jpg

I'm struggling with the time for the qualifier.As you can tell from the second photo. First photo is this week's practice on beviled fronts.
    Last photo is part of the journey class . Three heat shoes.
  10. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

At least you're doing it Michael. That's the important part.

Regards