Announcement that freaks me out a bit

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Stef, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Offline

Stef Member

Hi all,

I just wanted to let you know that we will have some major changes at our ranch in the Mexican jungle - I am exited and nervous and freaking out about this a bit.
    My college that has been shoeing half of our horses has quit, so from September on I will take care of twelve horse's feet by myself. I know that you guys probably get twelve horses done in two days, but for me it is a big thing :) as we also have to get all everyday chores done by ourselves.
    Being in Machocountry everybody says that we won't be able to have a girls team here at the ranch (women are cero accepted on ranches in this area), especially because of the shoeing.
    Our big goal is to not only prove everybody wrong, but also to do a better job than men here (sorry if this sounds a bit sexist) in any aspects of horse care.
    I hope you won't be bothered if I will start to post a lot of stuff on here in the near future - seeking for advice and help.
    Thank so much already!

PS: If you guys are interested in what it looks like at our ranch you can check out Rancho Baaxal on Facebook.
  2. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Post away I enjoy it.
  3. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

I hate women Farriers. Mainly because so many are better than me and just about all that I've met can probably kick my butt.
    Just keep improving as you have been and you'll do fine Steffi. Shoe each one better than the one before.
  4. Offline

Jack Evers Active Member

Are all 12 wearing shoes?

What I have seen of your work, you can handle it.
  5. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

6. Offline

Mikel Dawson Active Member

When I was working as a guide, I was expected to keep all my mules and horses shod. I did this by keeping them on a schedule so I was only doing one or two at a time. By keeping them spread apart it was easier. I also tried to do my shoeing early in the morning, I'd start around daylight so it was cooler and less flies to worry about.
  7. Offline

Stef Member

Thank you all so much! Out of the 12 one of them is permanently barefoot and one only wears front shoes. I will definitely space them out - they are all on a 4/5 weeks schedule. As of right now we have also found some competent and dedicated people to work at the ranch once my colleague quits so I can focus on the horses feet. I will keep you all up to date!