Another navicular DX

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by Justin Decker, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member

This horse was diagnosed with navicular disease today, grade 3 lame. I'm a little skeptical, wanted to get others thoughts on these. Shod the horse with an O DF french roll #2 wedge and equipak, some improvement after shoeing but not a lot, still one step noticeable. My concern is the demineralization of the lateral side of the coffin bone. Solar bruising was slightly evident as an outline of the bone on the lateral side. Owner said this area was not mentioned by the vet. Did not get any pics of the feet.

Right Front000.JPG Right Front001.JPG Right Front002.JPG
  2. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

If demineralization of the coffin bone is present, then pedal osteitis is a player. If that is the case, I prefer a full pad next to the shoe with a rim pad below it, next to the foot. I pack the foot with Magic Cushion or MC Extreme and oakum And will often run a bead of EquiPak Blue Label across the back, after the shoe is applied, to better help keep environmental contaminants/water from getting under the pad(s). There is also some medial sidebone developing. To me, in the skyline view, the distal lateral border of both the navicular bone and p2 show changes