anvils and stands

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Draftshoer, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

I would like to see everyone's anvils and stands. Homemade or store bought stands. I am particularly interested in seeing the set ups from folks who do a lot of handmades and forge work. Also I am mostly looking for what you carry in the truck everyday.
  2. Offline

ray steele Administrator

I carry this set up in the 96 Honda civic hatchback!

Attached Files:

3. Offline

Clint Burrell Active Member

I'll see your Honda Civic and raise you a Chrysler Town and Country. 003.JPG 004.JPG

Attached Files:

• 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      149.5 KB
      Views:
    • 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      160.1 KB
      Views:
    • 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      155.9 KB
      Views:
  4. Offline

ray steele Administrator

roadhog!

most folks don t want to see my honda civic ,

and by the way it s not just a honda civic but a honda civic hatchback dx std. with non factory issued rust over the wheel wells

by the way nice choice of anvils

ray
  5. Offline

Sorry Ray, didn't mean to disrespect you by leaving out the hunchback dix stud part.

Mine also has some of the non factory option you mentioned as well as the factory low tire pressure light that is on continuously due to the fact the owner refuses to pay $180 for a valve stem that does the same thing as my eyes when I walk around it.

Bout the anvil, Thank's. Thought that was a Mankel in your pic tho I see you stepped up for the dual clip horn option. As you can see, I had to settle for using a right handed anvil from the left hand side. Unfortunately all my shoes come out inside out and backwards. I fit my shoes to the near side and nail them up on the off side and vice versa.

You also appear to be a lefty. If that is correct then I now understand what is wrong with you.:p
  6. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

I really like the mankel anvils. I built a new stand for my JHM today. I'll get a pic tomorrow
  7. Offline

I like Mankel, tho they are probably better suited to cold shoeing or moding kegers with the flat horn.

JHM are nice ones as well. I think they are priced well for a good all around working anvil.
  8. Offline

Mikel Dawson Active Member

The first pic is the anvil and stand I made next to my gas forge, I use it most. The next pic is the anvil and stand I made for it, standing next to my coal forge.

Anvil 001.JPG Anvil 002.JPG
    This is the one I built for my Van anvil, currently a Future 3 IMG_0234.JPG

During my Christmas break I am working on a new setup for my van. Will post when done.
  9. Offline

monty.styron Active Member

Best stand i ever had was a old tree stump . Have a 125 lb ge and a write(spelling ?sorry kicked in the head often) My next stands will be the same . Im going to find two trees close together cut them down use the lumber to build a shack over them then pull up a chair drink smoke and watch the #%@& things rust!
  10. Offline

I had a stump before I built the stand I got now. For me the stand is much better than the stump.
  11. Offline

gary evans old and slow

anvilstand.jpg

the anvil is a Cliff Carol 70 lb travelling anvil - I do all my work from this set up as I don't have a forge/workshop.
  12. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

I have a tree stump in the shop that I have used for 23 years, currently under a JHM 125 # Certifier, but it has been used under several different anvils. It works great. I'm not man enough to load it in and out of the truck several times daily, though.

Regards
  13. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

KIMG0290.jpg
    I built this stand yesterday. I still have a few additions but I love it.
  14. Offline

Joey Aczon Member

I use a 100# Scott double bick anvil on a stand I made from square tubing with a 1/4" plate steel top.

I highly recommend you mount your anvil with the bick over the side with 2 legs. Much more stable for turning shoes and less likely to bury into the ground while hammering. Even still, if my stand is on soft ground the near side leg will sink quite a bit. Otherwise a large foot on the bottom about 4" wide and 1/4" thick will make a large difference too.
  15. Offline

Joey Aczon Member

I'll have to clean my stand before take any pictures of it. LOL
  16. Offline

This is the set up I finished the other day. Got to try it out yesterday, works great for me. Now I can slide my anvil in and out with out turning it around. This will be great for many of the stops I do. I work a lot at place of only one or two horses.

DSCN1926.JPG DSCN1928.JPG
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. Offline

shoe'em Member

You mean some JHM Certifiers are 125# and mine is a 110#? Glad mine is 15#s lighter. It is all I can do to lift it in and out of the rig.
  18. Offline

shoe'em Member

Looks a lot like my stand. I'd send a pic but I'm computer illettirate (sp).
  19. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

Great idea Mikel! How long did ya make the rails its running on? Hope you dont mind but I will be copying that design in the future when I return to shoeing on the road! Keep us posted how it holds up to work over time. (y)
  20. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

Shop anvil is the Journeyman. Oops. The good news is that your Certifier is probably only 100 pounds. You're not as strong as you think. :D 000_0025.jpg