Apprenticeship/school

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ray steele, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Again taking from but attempting not to derail the Renchin AFJ thread,

there is as always will be I suppose the debate of the value of an apprenticeship vs school in this or most any trade.
    I did note that Renchin mentioned the short amt. of time that many school graduates last in the trade and the follow up by several folk who wrote in mentioning that after a year or three they went back to another occupation.................I was wondering if anyone on the other side of the pond,where apprenticeship is the norm has ever noticed how many apprentices continue,

basically, is there an attrition rate of beginning apprentices?
    of those who complete the apprenticeship endeavor, how many.....what percentage continue... full time/part time...are there even notes kept?
  2. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

Ray, it's just a tough business, plain and simple. Iron workers, coal miners and Artic fishermen also have a high attrition rate.

I think all of the second career wannbe shoers, that rode with me for an introduction to the trade, who then went on to schools that I didn't recommend, very soon washed out. When I saw them later and asked what happened, their universal response was , that I made it look too easy and it took too long to build a business. Most of them were local GM layoffs than had their schooling paid for, so they really weren't invested in the process.

Some of the young ones thought you had to be too fussy and had kiss too much ass.

I think the 6 months at Heartland gave my daughter the best chance but it still is all up to her in the end. She's busy enough now between her clients and college, that I will only get her to work for me 3 days a month now.
  3. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Brian,

I hear what your saying but since I/we hear a lot about the apprenticeship program on the other side of the pond I thought we might find out a little about the attrition rate,if any.

Let s face it 4 years and your probably gonna learn some thing, 4 years apprenticeship under a master or 2,6 or 12 months of a school and the remaining 46,42,36 months to make up the same 4 years, your gonna learn something, quality of that learning is certianly up for argument, but i trying to get an idea of the attrition rate, if any, of the apprentice program.

I know folk here who served"informal" apprenticeships some for 4 plus years and are not practicing,or practicing on a limited basis,part time shoers ,

I d like to find out if it might be the same in the areas of the world where they have "formal" programs.

I hope that s clear!

Regards

Ray