Asking members

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Karen Fletcher, Jun 23, 2012.

?

Does this sound agreeable or at least worth a trial?

Poll closed Jun 30, 2012.
yes 5 vote(s) 71.4%
no 2 vote(s) 28.6%
  1. Offline

Karen Fletcher Active Member

I hope I say this right. I want this forum to work. We (4 to 5) owners enjoy the farriery talk. Even about thoughtless customers, LOL. It may lead to those veteran farriers coming back.

Farriers do need an area of their own to talk farriery uninterrupted by non-farriers. Owners would like to be a part of this forum aside from asking for advice.

I would like to suggest something like Gary said. Categories restricted to farriers only. Then a broader "open" area, such as one off topic area and one general talk area, not 2, for all. Or something like that. With a farrier (like now) moderating farriers, and an owner moderating owners . Wherever they post. And an area for owners asking farrier advice, and farriers posting educational articles for owners.

I think the mods should be able to have some stronger methods in their moderation, sometimes deleting and warning are not enough. Moderators should not have to spend their whole day deleting repeat offensive posts by repeat offenders-day after day. There has to be a limit to how many warnings mods have to give before there is a stronger action to take, like an offender having a week off. The forum owner can offer a trial for this, let's say 30 days.

I would truly appreciate being an owner mod working with a farrier mod, and the farrier mod setting up an infraction system.

If you think that this outline would work, please see poll below. Ray asked me to offer this up to members.
  2. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

sounds good in theory , how do you know who is and who isnt though , you only their word for it and we all know and have doubts about some
  3. Offline

ray steele Administrator

David,

Please delete one of these redundant threads.

Thanks

Ray
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

Ray, please click on this link http://farriersforum.com/forums/general-discussions.9/

Move your mouse over the little box to the left of the title and click on it. A sneaky little box will pop up. Shockingly one of your options is Delete Thread.
  5. Offline

I agree, Chris. I would hope that real farriers put "farrier" under their name and taken at their word until proved otherwise.
  6. Offline

It is very easy to put users in different usergroups. It's equally as easy to allow people to only post in certain forums. If you don't want horseowners posting in a ceratin forum create a horse owner usergroup. If somebody sneaks through and is obviously not a Farrier throw them in the correct usergroup. The problem is this requires someone being and administrator again. ;)
  7. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Eric,

you keep trying to suck me into that little web, I DON'T WANT TO, ! I'm a member(with some extra authority that if i abuse it ,please let me know), kudos to you for the try or for trying to be informative!

Ray
  8. Offline

Why don't you let David Hall be a super admin then so you don't have to do anything but pay the bills?;)
  9. Offline

George, what's really funny is that your bumper/pickup/drag was a humorous way of saying that their posts can be inspected prior to being posted, like some forums do with new members.
  10. Offline

ray steele Administrator

I'll suggest it to David
  11. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Hell You will have to forgive me, I have been doing some super admin at home. namely I serviced a motor bike, a laminitic pony, a coloured wash, some cooking, fresh trout with rice a bottle of Cabernat Sauvignon from over you side of the pond trying to keep pace with the events on here.
    Hell dont tell the kids they dont think i should be trusted with anything.
  12. Offline

ray steele Administrator

You b******

my wife has gone to pick up one of my favorite grand daughters(favoritism is decided vie grad child named or #( ex grand child # 4 etc) , but they are all favorites ,and here you are having a life! here i am drinking some stout, alone, put me in touch with the kids, i demand someone to be responsible ... are you there...are you there.. that's it.. i'm going some place else to post .. are you there..are you there?

thanks David and do not forget that ,You Have a Life and should, and your kids will remember

regards

Ray

ray
  13. Offline

Christos Axis Member

But this area already exists. It is the Farrier related discussions.

That's why there is a section for owner discussions. They are very welcome there to discuss anything, comment on anything etc etc.

Again, this area exists. It is the categories under Farrier related discussions.

There must be something I am missing here, something I do not understand at all. Really, honestly. Why can owners or the general public not express themselves freely and fully on the Owners section ? Isn't there enough space for them in that section ? Why is there a need for them to comment, suggest or otherwise pop up all the time for whatever reason in the Farrier section ?

The outline already exists. The rules, we all know them. We only need to respect these and eachother.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. Offline

Hi Christos. Someone had suggested instead of the owner and farrier sections, instead there would be specific categories that are farrier only. I think it was a good suggestion because there are categories that don't need to be restricted, and there are duplicate categories that we only need one for everyone, like off topic, general topics, etc.
  15. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

Going to a owners section to ask a question about something they read in upper threads would be a little agravating..truthfully I have not even seen where a owner got to far put of line other than defending themself...I enjoy when a owner ask questions..hell I deal with owners on a daily basis and field a bunch of questions..if a none farrier starts telling how or what they think may work then its time to warn then 2 nd time ban them ..zero tolerates.. and trimers treated as if horse owners only..I think karens idea is more than fair
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

Y'all are wearing me out trying to read all this stuff about the site...Lets talk about Farriery, I like to know how others deal with club feet, high / low, laminitis, navicular or caudle heel pain...tricks that work for you? I have enough BS to deal with customers that always KNOW more than me, and vets that think because they see a hoof ONLY when an issue pops up and the owners panic and run to the vet before a simple phone call?? I am grateful to all the Farriers that post, I take some knowledge and use it and other stuff I think about even if I disagree with it... I would hope that the people y'all consider problems will get back to issues of hoofcare also..Never said Farriers arent opinionated!!:cool:
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Travis, part of the reason for the restriction is to keep the technical discussion on track without the distraction of having to explain the nuances and details of the basics of shoeing every time a non farrier has a question. If there is a good question from an owner about something in the farrier section, then that question deserves its own thread in a place where it can be broken down into simpler components and explained in detail.
  18. Offline

Travis, I was thinking I liked a different idea from one of the farriers here;
    Forget the owner/farrier division. Instead have several categories that are farrier only restricted. I liked it because farriers deserve/need/want/appreciate choice of a few restricted categories, and it would also "feel" like the big wall in the middle is gone, but there would still be categories that farriers would be completely uninterrupted. Travis, does this suggestion from one of our farriers seem fair? I do like this better than mine.
  19. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

Yes Karen I like both ideas ..truthfully speaking for my self ..there is so much in thus world to get up set about its all seems silly for me to witty with..if all I had to worry about is who post where I would say life is good..
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Me too. That's why I like a Farrier's Forum.