back pritchelling

Discussion in 'Horseshoeing Competitions and Handmade Horseshoes' started by gary evans, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Offline

gary evans old and slow

ok or not ok?
  2. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

no no no , no . Gary what is this all about ?
  3. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Gary,

tough question,not sure there is a correct answer
    i d say if it works for you,you being anyone who does back pritchel , here in the states I think they call it "back punching", then ok,
    myself i did it for a few sets because back in the 1970's and early 80's someone wrote that it must be done! I realised that id didn t make a difference to me , so being the lazy basturd that I be I stopped , and on occasion will touch up a whole if I punched it incomplete or if a keggar needs it.

Regards

Ray
  4. Offline

gary evans old and slow

I made a pair for a pony the other day and spoiled the nail holes a bit as I adjusted the shoes, so I back pritchelled them to make them useable.

I remember being taught that it was a big no no and, as a rule, I don't do it but on this occasion I did it all the same... :oops:

I have seen some guys do it as a matter of course, so I thought it might be a good topic for debate.
  5. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

Gary not a good habit to get into
    if your making hand-mades the holes
    are only as good as your stamp/pritchel are set up
    the norm is to barley touch the back of the hole
    there should be no day light from the back and not much movement
  6. Offline

gary evans old and slow

So if you... er sorry, if one of your apprentices :). squished a nail hole when they adjusted the shoe, should they chuck it and make another, back pritchel to make the hole more usable or just hammer the nail through anyway?
  7. Offline

Are we not talking about back pricheling as in all the nail holes?
  8. Offline

always pritchel through from the ground surface , a shagged up nailhole can always be restamped
  9. Offline

gary evans old and slow

I was actually just thinking of ones that have been spoilt - like I often do when I clip hinds. I seem to squash the holes next to the clip a bit. The obvious answer is 'improve your clipping' but in the real world, a tap from the back with the pritchel makes them usable.
    I have seen some guys back pritchel all the nail holes though.
  10. Offline

Gary there will be shoes made tomoro bye the App
    made from 3/4 x 5/16 i want a size 3 nail to fit not a 4,5
    i dont want the nail swimming in the hole or i dont want it that it wont go in
    its all habits they pick up good and bad, hopefully not to many bad ones
  11. Offline

i never close up holes clipping hinds:):p
  12. Offline

back pritchelling weakens the nail , remember how your stamp and ptitchel work and set the hole up , back holing it only makes the hole bigger and puts a sharp edge inside the hole which will weaken the nail
  13. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

Anyone here in the States that used Diamond Saddlite shoes learned how to backpunch nail holes. That, or they got used to driving really bad nails.
  14. Offline

Platerforge Guest

yes, have a few left over for the real thin walled horses welsh pony/TB crosses [children's pony hunters] .....use the SB 4.5 Capewells with them. I go thur the top, then back punch with a small pritchel for RN and SB blade nails.
  15. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Chris,

can you explain how it would weaken the nail?
    always?
    might it not also allow the nail to seat to the head, maybe even incorporate the head ,taking some stress off the shank?

Thanks

Ray
  16. Offline

Platerforge Guest

anytime you back punch you are opening up the nail hole on the wrong side and you will get some sharp metal pieces in the nail head itself; and the you are opening up too much the nail head from the foot surface and can cause movement in the nail is seated; could cause shearing of the nail.....the nail is tapered down and so is your nail punch to be tapered down and with the angle of the wall; and your nail is to seat almost tight without movement in the nail punch.
    when you backpunch you lose that tapering.
    explain later...got to go.
  17. Offline

Mikel Dawson Active Member

In the words of the famous Rick - it depends. I try not to. But if I get a hole a little off, I will.
  18. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

I know people that back punch every shoe. Doesn't seem to Matter.

Eric Russell
  19. Offline

david a hall Moderator

That will be me, I must be doing something wrong :D
  20. Offline

ray steele Administrator

to add thought to this,

I know a farrier who has come to the realization that all nail holes should be round, and he "back rotary pritchels (runs a drill bit via the drill press)" all his nail holes , i never hear a word about sheared nails from him and he has driven alot of nails, i d guess that he has been doing this for more that 25 years, i ve heard several folk talk about how foolish it is to do this...........usually/often it s folk who want his accts..

point is,it works/has worked for him, to me saying that there are no rules, just opinions bout the practice.

Regards

Ray