Bleeding Crack

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by Mikel Dawson, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Offline

Mikel Dawson Active Member

Got an emergency call today. A horse kicked the edge of a piece of stainless steel in his box. It split the LH, medial toe from the horn wall into the point of the frog and bleeding

Hilltop crack 002a.jpg Hilltop crack 005a.jpg .

And the crack runs up the front of the horn wall from ground to hairline, bleeding all the way.

I put on a bar shoe with side clips, two on each side and a hospital plate.
    I was lucky the vet was there to shoot up the horse, but no x-rays. I just hope there is no damage to P3. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
  2. Offline

joe bill There went my twenty!!!

I bet the vet was more glad that you were there? GREAT Job!!!!!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
  3. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

did you take any pics of the job
  4. Offline

Hilltop crack 006a.jpg
    Only one I got was with the hospital plate on. I used a Jim Blurton barshoe. Was a good fit with a little shaping.
  5. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

well done
  6. Offline

Gabino Active Member

Mikel, I can see a good barn whit a good box whit good wooden stuff,probably no cheap. I can see a good work of farriery,probably no cheap. I understand the owner is not a poor,then,why no vet and rads?
  7. Offline

I had a vet on site. I stated I would need the horse shotup to shoe it when I talked to the vet on the phone, but the vet was not a regular horse vet. But she was smart enough to call the horse clinic to talk to the regular horse vet and get advice. After I arrived she again called the horse clinic and had me talk to the vet there. We decided on the protocal to use. The horse was lame enough I wouldn't want to trailer it anywhere. I did advise her to get an x-ray as there could be P3 damage.
  8. Offline

david a hall Moderator

9. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

Tom b and rick.b ....please interject in this post on how you feel this could play out if goes wrong... A farrier on the phone with vet come up with protocol and no xray done base on farrier information relay to vet over phone..and farrier left with recommend get xrays... ........mikel I'm in no way saying you done anything wrong or out of the ordinary in fact you done a nice job on your part although I would have like to see an xray just to be safe as I'm sure you would have to..the reason for my question is a spin off from the thread about farrier trim a foot for shoe and left barefoot..as I feel this case is along the same lines as the hypothetical thread we had going...
  10. Offline

david a hall Moderator

No lets not interject with legal hypothesis.
    This is a good post for the op to keep us informed on the horses progress not to turn it into the boring rubbish on the other thread. If you want to do that put the question in there.
  11. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

WTF Travis, it was an emergency. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
  12. Offline

Yea I know so we gonna talk to the vet on the phone a come up with protocol .. sounds far more risky than walking off after a trim huh..I guess I just run my business different..
  13. Offline

What the hell is to report..there's no xray to go of of..maybe we can guess on how its going..just because you may feel the other thread had no value to you that's fine but don't tell me what the hell I'm to find useful...
  14. Offline

Was a simple question of how they would handle this case
  15. Offline

Was a simple question of how they would handle this case
  16. Offline

I had a vet standing right beside me taking responsibility for the case. It was an emergency issue and I expressed my concerns to the owner in front of the vet and she agreed. I don't know what else can be done. I don't see any ethical delima, but I do understand the concern, as I also have the concern for what might have happened.
  17. Offline

I would have done the exact same the mikel..my question is more about the vet not exray..and about the never ending on going threads over the years about farriers going against what they feel is not the best way..it was brought up in the barefoot/ she ..and it was said I could be held responsible for nailing up a shoeing I posted here for the vet because I did not agree with it and it was said I should have walked awat
  18. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

'Bout like comparing gold to fool's gold. Regardless, if the farrier was uncomfortable with the vet's prescription, the farrier, at that point can still walk away. So, in reality, not at all the same as the trimming case presented.
  19. Offline

Thanks rick..that's all i ask for was a simple reply as such of how one would handle..it
  20. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member