Boundaries

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by brian robertson, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

I know, we as farriers, have been warned not to stray into the realm of Veterinary medicine when dealing with clients' horses but there doesn't seem to be much reciprocity from the DVMs.
    I understand there are times when the situation calls for podiatry instead of horseshoeing and trimming but what I have seen lately are some new Vets offering regular hoofcare when making farm calls for coggins tests, vaccinations, worming, etc. There's one close by that is also offering body clipping. Talk about pissed off grooms.
    Desperate times call for desperate measures; I never thought I would have to compete with DVMs for trimming broodmares,foals and geriatric horses
  2. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Interesting.... Knowledge of a subject does not always equate to practical skill.
  3. Offline

Jack Evers Active Member

Maybe that's success - a vet thinks he should make as much money as a farrier.
  4. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

I've heard of this happening, but not around my area. We all know that if we do any of their work there'd be hell to pay.
    I found an abscess in the toe of a horse a while back gave it some drainage and told the gal to call the vet as the horse had a fever and may need some meds. I called the Vet who was going to look at it what to expect, as we tend to do for each other, and assured him that I practiced no Veterinary procedures on the horse other than pulling the shoe.
    I always complain to them about pulling shoes as the first thing when a horse come in to them. It may have a lacerated ear, so they pull a shoe before they stitch it up. He said I was on the right track. They must charge a lot for shoe pulling, and it is gratifying to hear them complain about how hard it is to get mine off the horse.