BRRRRRRRRR

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by brian robertson, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

It's now, 3 days sub zero temps for the highs, 18" snow on top of 2" of ice from the Christmas week ice storm with 5 days no power. No work again today, it's going to be a "mac and cheese" for dinner week for sure. It's getting a little tiresome especially with all the "honey do" jobs that are outside.

I bought a weanling colt, Dec 9th in southern VA, he never saw snow and cold till he got here; I'm worried a[bout him.
  2. Offline

Jack Evers Active Member

Stall with some bedding, he should be all right They adapt pretty quickly to the cold.
  3. Offline

I forgot to mention the 15 -25 mph winds. With the wind chill rating of -40f , I've been bringing all the horses in early, 3 pm and giving extra hay. The little guy hasn't figured out to follow other horses to the wind brake, he just stands at the gate by himself, looking pathetic. He was pretty bouncy this morning, waiting to get turned out. He also hasn't mastered galloping through snow drifts yet. Pretty funny. I might ask the wife to video tomorrows turnout.

We're supposed to get a break from this Polar Blast tomorrow, not much wind and a high of 15f
  4. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Not to try to out do you Brian,

here Sat. -24 F, still no flies, no skeeters, what folk are saving of spray is amazing!

Hang in here all;,Spring is only bout 75 days from now!

Ray
  5. Offline

Jack Evers Active Member

Ray, spring is what we worry about. Around here the last month of winter is apt to be lot nicer than the first month of spring.
  6. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Jack,

sorry if i touched a nerve, guess that s where the saying "one mans passion another mans poison " might apply,

I just don t like winter and being cold, so i ll give into all the snow someone might want if they ll keep the temp above 70F.

Big of me eh?

Ray
  7. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

I agree Ray. I HATE winter. I usually start missing summer by the end of October.
  8. Offline

For me, it's a matter of acclimation. Michigan went from a great fall(sunny temp 45f to 60f) into instant winter, single digits, unusual high winds with ice and snow. Add 2 week long power failures in 35 days and you might understand my less than cheerful mood.
    We've been at least 10 yrs from sub zero temps and 34 yrs from this kind of snow depths. Reminds me of the late '60s & '70s. If this is the new normal; we'll get used to it. Maybe sell the motorcycle and buy a snowmobile and a sleigh for the horses.
  9. Offline

Another day no work, the weathermen lied, not going to make 15f today, the mercury is sitting on -4F, might make 10f by 4pm
  10. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

Suck it up Brian. :) I shoe down to 10 degrees and trim down to -30.

I find in shoeing below 10 degrees nothing works well. Shoes don't stay hot, forge soon freezes up, horses and I are stiff, and get impatient 'cause I'm slower, and striking tools tend to chip/break. Not to mention your hands freezing because you can't wear gloves, and nails can stick to your lips if you don't pre-warm them. Yeah, winter sucks.

Regards
  11. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

40 deg. and raining when I left this morning. I still can't wait for spring but at least I don't have to wear long handles and coveralls right now.
  12. Offline

shoe'em Member

I always wear gloves. Those Ansell gloves work very well. And if you put on latex gloves on first and the Ansell gloves over them your hands will stay warmer. Also: with those gloves I use I get the dexterity of a brain surgeon and can pick up individual nails without a problem.
    And I never put nails in my mouth! I use a magnet clipped to my shirt. Works great.
  13. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

I used to use a magnet attached to my chaps, but it always seemed to be getting in the way, and I was dropping nails everywhere if I had to move fast.

Regards
  14. Offline

gary evans old and slow

What temps do you work in?
    Do you work in gloves whatever the temp?
  15. Offline

Jack Evers Active Member

Ray, no nerve touched, just the way it is here, late Feb, early March is a dry time of year with lots of sunshine and little wind. Late march, early April is snowy, overcast and windy. Ranchers try to do their calving in Feb. If you can keep the little guys dry, they can handle the cold. The wet of early spring isn't good for newborns.
  16. Offline

1st day of work this week. The weather goes to 35f and fog and rain. I just love working on soaking wet horses. Another full day tomorrow.

10f is my limit for shoeing, 5f for trims. Nothing really that urgent this time of year unless the van company is coming to take them to FL for 6-8 weeks.