Clipping hammer advice

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Carl wain, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Offline

Carl wain New Member

Hi everyone, I'm after some advice regarding clipping hammers- I've always used an old white house cross pein 2 1/2 lbs for clipping concave and flat-until some bastard broke into my truck! Can't seem to find another hammer the same weight/size so I was thinking of modifying one- has anybody done this and got pictures to share or any advice ,would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
  2. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Carl
    Suggest you look up the earlier discussion ,I believe titled clipping hammers or rounding hammers, David Hall showed his modification of a cats head hammer, after some discussion his cats head was an old Whitehead, David included pictures

I had never heard of the Whitehouse brand here in the states, found them and bought a dozen or so to sell. One of the nicest clipping hammers I ve used and I never was classy enough to modify.

If I have some time I ll try to locate the thread, in the mean time maybe you can find it here.

Ray

I found it, thread title "My first 3/4 fullered" post #30
  3. Offline

Carl wain New Member

Thanks ray
  4. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

Ray, can you post a link to that thread? I couldn't find it by searching My first 3/4 fullered
  5. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Draftshoer

in the search i wrote, "cats head hammer", that showed # of threads ,one of them being " My1st 3/4 fullered", sorry I don t work to hard at the computer stuff so for me this is how I got there ,easy or not. Hope it helps.

Regards

Ray
  6. Offline

UK Tool Maker New Member

Sorry for the long abscence, Ive been busy with other things, but I'm trying to get back onto the Farrier stuff. Carl, the whitehouse Cross pien you mention, do you have any images? We got a lot of the Whitehouse tooling when we bought Footprints Tools Hammer Section back in 2009 (They had previously bought a lt of Whitehouse Business). If they still produced it, it'll be in our container hopefully, the tooling that is. We might even have some old stock downstairs somewhere.

As before, Im not here to sell, but if I've still got the tooling, it might help a few of you out...??
  7. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

the old whitehouse catshead would sell well at the right price
  8. Offline

UK Tool Maker New Member

This one??

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ncwot5ihjhuaj1f/Cats Eye Forging Hammer.jpg?dl=0

I'm pretty sure we have the tooling for this, I'll ask my PD if we can do a small run, and at what cost, see if its viable.

Noting that Davids has been modified (Already spoken to David about this), what would you guys change about it? and I'd still like to see this Cross Pien Hammer!!
  9. Offline

ray steele Administrator

UKTM,

that s the Whitehouse /cats head/eye that I have!

Ray