Laminitis Clog

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by Justin Decker, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member

9yr. old Arab original rotation was 23 degrees, induced by stress from choking. I am the 4th person to work on her. About anything you can think of has been tried on this horse(heartbars, redden wedges, bannana shoes, barefoot trimmer) and she seems to do best like this. She is basically peg legged, cannon bone to center of foot is almost a straight line. Very little range of motion in the joints.

007a.jpg 010a.jpg 016a.jpg 014a.jpg
  2. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

Nice job! Did you see the other applications applied to the foot?
  3. Offline

No I didn't, I came in after the barefoot trimmer on a stool with a grinder:LOL:. I have seen some of the rads from the previous shoeings, but don't have them. The owner said the horse did well in the heartbars in the beginning, but things went down hill at about six months. Then went into Redden ultimates for about a year and half, then barefoot trimmer. I had it in banannas for one cycle per vet instruction(didn't do well), then I went to this setup.
  4. Offline

hmmm, what was the problem with the trimmer and stool grinder? :LOL:
  5. Offline

Spot On Shoeing __________________

6. Offline

William Kiner WCB # 362

Is the glue on the foot to hold the clog on or is it to hide the screws ?
  7. Offline

The glue is holding the handmade aluminum shoe on:D along with two nails. The shoe is also about two sizes bigger than the foot to provide some stability and to better center it on the leg.
  8. Offline

William Kiner WCB # 362

If you say so o_O
  9. Offline

Ronald Aalders New Member

Shoeing laminitic horses is about loading the heels. To effectively load the heels, the surface of the posterior sole needs to be as big enough to carry the weight. You can do that by lowering heels. A mechanical concept that is not often understood. Since heels slant forward, lowering them INcreases the distance from the COA (or what ever other reference point that makes you happy) to the spot where the heels touch ground. That effectively increases surface. But by lowering heels you have also increased DDFT pull, you don't need that in a founder case. So, in order to reduce the pulling force DDFT you need to raise heels, or ease breakover, or (preferably) both.

The job looks nice enough but I wonder if the heels are low enough. Also, using a clog is fine, but clogs, banana's, heart bars, open toes, ultimates and all other shoes that are used on laminitic horses are useless without a proper trim. A trim that realigns/derotates P3 thus increasing the posterior surface of the foot. The shoe just serves to reduce DDFT pull, protect the foot and allow support and floating where needed.
  10. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

It depends. To paraphrase Paul Simon, there must me at least 50 ways to love your lever. ;)
  11. Offline

jack mac Guest

12. Offline

Pat Reilly Active Member

Your response assumes the laminae at the heels is structurally intact. That isn't always the case.
  13. Offline

Ronald Aalders New Member

True, or as we say in Holland, where there is nothing even the King looses........
  14. Offline

Pat Reilly Active Member

True enough, but there is a lot of individual variation in the presentation. I agree that the heels are less likely to be as affected as other area, but it is certainly possible. Medial sinkers? sinkers? Loss of 10% of the laminae at the toe might not have the same treatments or prognosis as a hoof with 30% loss of laminae around the toe.
  15. Offline

After 4 different people worked on this horse I wasn't under the impression it was laminitic.Very little range of motion in the joint suggests this isn't an acute case either.

And what happens when you increase the angle again? You decrease the distance to COA.

I understand the less heel length you have the stronger it will be and since laminitic horses transfer weight off there toes you would want the heels as strong as possible. COA or any other mark has nothing to do with anything.