Concave.

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by Layne, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Offline

Layne Member

On another thread there was some discussion about concave shoes ..
    I've been of the opinion that to much traction on the hinds, Setup the horse for hock and stifle problems ??

I realize it depends on what the horse does ...

If you use concave , why do you use it , and on what discipline do you use it for ?

Sent from my phone
  2. Offline

Marc Jerram FdSc AWCF www.thefarrier.co.uk

Concave is used on 90% of horses here as they tend to do more roadwork than most other places in the world and require traction. The owners find fullered shoes too slippy. I was riding in france a couple of years ago and the horses there were shod in fullered kerkharts and were slipping and sliding everywhere on the roads, they didnt seem to want to break from tradition, I suppose is brits are guilty of that too in some respects.

I've nothing at all against fullered/ plain stamped and would happily use them where applicable.
  3. Offline

john mc loughlin Member

IMG_2838.JPG been useing concave for 37 years or so
    i have made shoes out of concave for
    T/b foals, T/B yearlings,Brood mares, showing ponies,jumping ponies,
    dresage horses,racing horses flat and N/H,polo ponies,hunters,
    jumping horses, to name a few
    make most all my bar shoes
  4. Offline

Josh Ramsey Member

I like the wearability of it. Get more resets from it than say a fullered keg shoe.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  5. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

What's the difference between concave and a rim shoe?

Switched this horse to the rim shoe because he is wearing out a reg. Keg on the street. (Owner declined pins)

uploadfromtaptalk1348520274971.jpg
  6. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

There is a small differance to me. A rim shoe has a small roll toe built into it. On concave the outer rim is straight down and then I have seen some hammered back to make a roll toe. Actually the stock looks like it can be turned either direction one would want it? There was some discussion over on horseshoes about this because I asked about it.. On barrel horses I want their feet out of the ground fast, so I like rims or even halfrounds.. a plate slows that breakover just a tad but with speed horses ya want the least amount of energy to get the feet out of the ground..on the hinds I rarely use rims because I want alittle slide as they make the turn at the can, rims can get sticky. JMO.:cool:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Offline

Platerforge Guest

here's some concave with a rocker toe for an undercutting gait that this would do at a walk; but not at a trot/canter.
  8. Offline

Platerforge Guest

9. Offline

Platerforge Guest

10. Offline

Platerforge Guest

11. Offline

Platerforge Guest

12. Offline

Platerforge Guest

this horse would never take hot shoeing-- which he needs; it has taken years just to get shoes on him without a fight; especially the hinds.
    he still managed to slice my fingers today-- to blood again; as always- he'll getcha; he's a tough horse to shoe.
  13. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

Why don't you have the owner administer some chemical restraint such as dormosedan gel?
  14. Offline

Platerforge Guest

TQ doesn't teach a horse to stand; and it not always the answer to everything.
    good horsemanship skills are a must to work with the horse in getting over it's fear of shoeing; not drugs.
  15. Offline

Not your job to teach the horse to stand unless you are getting paid for it. And, you evidently have little experience with Dormosedan because if you did you'd find it is quite effective in helping the horse get over its fear of shoeing. Why? because it allows the horse to calmly accept what is going on while taking away its 'flight or fight' reaction.
    Its your job to get the horse shod quickly, efficiently and effectively, not mollycoddle it and/or train it.
    Bullshit. Good horsemanship skills are valuable but you have a job to do and if a twitch, a chain, chemical restraint, whatever is necessary to get the job done and at the same time keep the horse, and more importantly, you, safe, then so be it. Your 'bleeding heart' has no place in the equation when you are under the horse. Besides, you said its taken years to get the horse to where it is, and by your own description, that isn't very far. After all this time, the horse hurt you again. What's it going to take before you figure out that 'the juice just isn't worth the squeeze' and try something different? What if the next time, that horse hurts you badly enough to put you out of commission for an extended period of time?
  16. Offline

I am unfamiliar with the term 'undercutting gait' so I'd appreciate it if you would explain/define the term for me.
  17. Offline

Where's the rocker toe?:confused:
  18. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

Making a set of concaves a day is a nice feeling
    and when they fit real well its even better
  19. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

I would be nice to try turning some shoes with it but apparently the cost to get it around here is more than the supplier wants to deal with....I saw some old rusty concave at the Clinic in LA. last month and asked if the old rusty stuff was for sale..they told me it wasn't real good and they made a big mistake when the bought a load afew years ago..something about the lbs and dollars exchange?
  20. Offline

Clint Burrell Active Member

stuff deleted

You might be a bit wrong there. I remember way back when a farrier could tranq a horse w/o fear of litigation(when discretion was used). We had a customer call w/ a couple of "rescues". Neither had had their feet worked on in quite some time. One was good to do after a couple of rounds of TQ, used mostly so we could get the feet in order. The other wouldn't stand w/o a shot. Funny thing was you could start trimming right after giving the shot, no wait time. One day I walked up and rubbed her neck, thumped it two or three times then gave her a good pinch (no TQ) and trimmed her as usual. Never tranq'ed her again but she wouldn't stand unless you made her think she'd gotten a shot.

Side note; owners wern't knowledgable enough nor capable of any kind of "horsemanship"