Dealing with cracks, quarter, heel, toe...

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by Platerforge, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Offline

Platerforge Guest

Discussion on how you deal with cracks in different areas in the hoof.
  2. Offline

Layne Member

To me a hoof crack, be it toe, quarter or other.. Is hoof wall failure... So support the foot in a manner that reduces stress on the cracked area ... Seems simple .. I like that :)

I think the basics have often been overlooked when we find these type problems ....

I've used clogs to help toe cracks .. Acrylics to fix quarter cracks and ... Time to fix others :)

Sent from my phone
  3. Offline

Josh Ramsey Member

I prefer resecting the crack and properly trimming the foot, barshoe of sorts with clips and an equipak pour

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  4. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

Balanceing the hoof, especially watching how the coronary band is . Quarter cracks blow out there, all other cracks with the exception of gravels are on the weight bearing part of the hoof.
  5. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Cracks...... heel qrtcrks..... navicular lesions. qrt cracks, fetlock problems. Toe Cracks, to much heel or not enough heel. If ya get lucky enough the rads will confirm.
  6. Offline

Platerforge Guest

I agree;............have a horse with very little heel; will not grow any and has a toe crack that doesn't go away. it makes sense. other toe cracks I see are from club footed horses; as well. it what I have been trying to convey to the owners.
  7. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

One has to decide if the Cracks are 'Torsion or Tension" Cracks......
  8. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

qrt crack 2 006.jpg one of nav changes qrt crack 2 006.jpg

Attached Files:

9. Offline

Platerforge Guest

owner is the vet, so no answer on that one; I believe it's from lack of heel putting pressure on the toe. and this is a horse that had glue on shoes all it's life; because the previous owner didn't believe in shoes and trimmed this horse all it's life without any training until the new owner the vet bought and we have had trimmed it; and then shoes; but the vet says this horse is going to the best it will ever be. I have some heel on it now; but still underslung. 49* angle; was at a 45* 3 years ago. this horse is flat footed; frog not the best; but not shriveled up.
  10. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Lateral and DV rads shots would show one a lot. Look behind. Toe stabbers are lame behind. And toe stabbers behind really need their hocks done. Is the vet a "small animal" provider?
  11. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

bad ankles......... ankles 008.jpg
  12. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Qrt Heel hind......... Media Centralis 010.jpg some assass tried to lace it....... I took out the heel of the equation. 1/2" float with bar wedge and putty..... Sound and will be seeing at indoors next month.....
  13. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

14. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Cracks? Leapy had enough to kill most horses. He anWilson taught me alot! Seamues told me about 'Lepay Lad" Run pony run...... the Irish like the Irish.......... per the "old man" best horse in the world. cracks and all.
    the old fukr didn' t have to deal with 'em....
  15. Offline

Platerforge Guest

yes, small animal now; with some large animal and exotics; works with the US Army on diseases of animals world wide. travels the world on lecture. I will check next time; on the hind end, thanks.