Emerson vs. Scott 100 lb anvil

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Kim Turner, May 29, 2012.

1. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

I've saved up enough to get a better anvil and I'm torn between these two. I'm looking more at the Emerson traditional with the cams because I do sometimes shape cold. Just wondering what others thought. This is a big investment for me. And I hope I can sell the other one. lol
  2. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

My next anvil will be a Nimba.

http://www.nimbaanvils.com/

The Scott is OK, but it the Nimba is in a class by itself.

You can always get a cheap stall jack for turning cams to shape aluminum plates cold.
  3. Offline

That's an interesting anvil. lol

Chris Gregory recommended the Scott, The supply house has the Emerson's but can get the Scott. I was going to drive up there Friday (4 hour drive) and check out the Emerson's. I was told that the Scott had a more Cone shaped horn. I wonder if it would be too small for the draft size shoes. I can only go with the 100 lb as I gotta lift it in and out of the truck.
  4. Offline

Travis Morgan Copenhagen. You can see it in my smile!

You gonna have to hire a man to set it up? LOL {POKE} ;)
  5. Offline

Depends on what he looks like....... :sneaky:
  6. Offline

7. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

Jaye said you left that pc of rail road track up at his place what have you been using for an anvil ..leave your old one with Russell and see if he will sell it for ya..
  8. Offline

LOL, My trailer ball.

I don't know if anyone will want it. It's a flat horn NC big face. Hollow Core, 86 lbs.
  9. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

Kim, I've sold several anvils over the years. Just post it in your local buy,swap,sell guide, and it will be gone with the first listing. A lot of people want anvils other than farriers, and don't really know or care what it is. Price it fairly, but don't cheat yourself. Hobbiests will pay more than farriers for used anvils, it seems, except for the really good anvils.

Regards
  10. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

The scott hands down. It has a nice wide face which is nice for bigger shoes. The bigger the horn the easier it is to make shoes. The horn also draws out nice so you don't have any problems making certain shoes like a heartbar. The base is directly below the face so it feels like a much bigger anvil while forging.
  11. Offline

Well turns out I've already bought an Emerson. I thought I was able to look at it and maybe pay return shipping if I wanted to get the Scott.
    That's what I get for jumping the gun. Friday was the only day this month I could make the trip, so I had planned on looking at the anvil, doing some forging, and grabbing some supplies.

Eric, I had read some old post by you talking about your emerson 200 lb that you really liked. lol

I should still like the Emerson, even if it turns out the Scott might have been the better choice. There were a lot of good reviews for the Emerson. The cone shaped horn on the Scott made me think it was small.

When I get good at handmades and bar shoes, I might wish for another anvil. 20 years down the line. lol
  12. Offline

Kim, there's a big difference between a 200 lb anvil and a 100lb. I like the 200lb emerson. I like the kolswa a4 in the shop even better because of the horn. I like it so much that I don't use it because it's too easy!
  13. Offline

Yeah, I got too excited about finally being able to get one. I think the Emerson will serve me well. And maybe one day I'll have a shop and get a really nice anvil for there. Since losing some weight I've noticed my wrists don't bother me nearly as bad, so I hope to get more into forging in my free time (whatever that is) lol
  14. Offline

Shane Wood Oklahoma

I'll right I'm going to ask a stupid question...why are you so against turning cams?
  15. Offline

Travis Morgan Copenhagen. You can see it in my smile!

It's a "purist" thing; you're also useless if you happen to own an arc welder. Oddly, spending $1,000 on a Baldor grinder and attachments is allowed.
    ....I guess I'll just never get hypocrisy. o_O
  16. Offline

I guess I'll never understand why you bitch and moan so much.
  17. Offline

If you're hot shoeing the horn is much quicker and efficient imo.
  18. Offline

Probably because he spent $450 more for his Baldor grinder setup than I did for mine. :confused:
  19. Offline

Christos Axis Member

I am not against them and I do not claim to know how to use them properly, but everytime I've tried I more or less destroy the shape, the flow of the shoe, especially a hot one. The more I understand and see shape and flow, the less I use the cams. I do find them useful for a fast cold shoe when detail does not pay.
  20. Offline

I've never put a hot shoe in the cams. Always used the tip of the horn, now I should have the whole horn to work on.

I have tweaked cold shoes in the cams