First hand drawn clips on a horse.

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by Kim Turner, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

My mare, bit overdue. Was last done right before she had the foal. She's always been a bit Underrun but noticed since the pregnancy its gotten worse.

Took all the heel down and wedged.

000 shoe so I had to draw my own clips. They look funky but oh well.

Sorry about the board, I know it makes the angle be off but is all I could find for a flat surface. Took one in the grass to show a better angle.

uploadfromtaptalk1344735685648.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1344735713016.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1344735739847.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1344735920103.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1344735799117.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1344735817822.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1344735853835.jpg
  2. Offline

Forgot grass picture for angle.

uploadfromtaptalk1344736079379.jpg
  3. Offline

Steve Marshall Member

That was a long day:)
  4. Offline

lol, it wasn't as dark as the last pictures make it out to be. Just dusk, but the the camera adjusted to flash. It did take me too long though. First problem I ran into was that the bar wedges were too wide for her foot, and then I only had 2's and 3's in the reg wedge pads so I ground it down some to fit right.

First time being shod and hot fitted at that. Wasn't too bad.
  5. Offline

Marc Jerram FdSc AWCF www.thefarrier.co.uk

Not a bad effort for your fit clips and clip fit :) I would advise to place the clips between nailhole 2 and 3 next time round
  6. Offline

Thanks, I thought too far back and it pinched the foot. kinda like multi clips for p3 fracture.
  7. Offline

Marc Jerram FdSc AWCF www.thefarrier.co.uk

No if the clips were placed between nailhole 3 and 4 then it would "pinch" the foot. The position of your clips are where they should be on a hind shoe
  8. Offline

DeniseMc Member

Kim,
    Did she have a bout of laminitis around the foaling time? Stress from being in the clinic?
    Is she prone to laminitis? Her hooves look like they've been stressed for a while.
  9. Offline

Layne Member

I think I woulda left the wedge in the truck. ... :) just used some sole / frog support :)

Sent from my phone
  10. Offline

I think it's stress from getting sick at the clinic and the antiboitics. Her hooves started looking worse during the pregnancy.
  11. Offline

It looks more broken forward because of the board. I walked her and looks good, maybe a tad forward but I'm going to see how she looks in a couple of days.
  12. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Did you use the hammer i "tuned"? The foot and app is good. a touch of metabolic laminitis is apparent. Layne is a moron.
  13. Offline

Here is on flat ground not jacked up by a board.

uploadfromtaptalk1344783364699.jpg
  14. Offline

I started too, but the 000 shoe was too small so I used the cross pein. I've been practicing with the one you gave me.
  15. Offline

Layne Member

It looks good Kim ... If I were gonna use a wedge .. U did it right :) did not mean to bash your work :). Sorry if it came across that way ... Not sure why that makes me a moron .. Oh well

Sent from my phone
  16. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

you have changed your tune Layne, why ?
  17. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

"Tune/Tone"; An app of/to ltlh

"moron" speaking before thinking.......
  18. Offline

Layne Member

I guess I have hard time writing what I mean ... Would not have used a wedge on that horse .. But atleast she fit the shoe well and used frog support ... So good application ... Just wouldnt wedge that horse .. ???

Sent from my phone
  19. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Why? The etiology of the horn, systemic lamintis, is telling one "please wedge me". New growth will tell ya what to do...........
  20. Offline

Layne Member

It's probably just my experience with wedges ( not so much using them but pulling them off :()... If a horse has deep flexor/ navicular lesions ..than a wedge may be one or the only option ... I don't wedge low heels just to because they are low ... That said ime frog support is a good thing ...

Sent from my phone