Founder pony

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by Mikel Dawson, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Offline

Mikel Dawson Active Member

Walked into a real winner my last place yesterday. A 24yr pony, foundered. It had been lame. I pulled the right front off, the horn wall was about 2mm shorter than the sole, so I took a thick leather pad, made a rim pad and shimmed the horn wall so I had clearance of the sole. Pony liked it.

Left front I thought would be the same, until I lifted the hoof and looked at the sole. I pulled the shoe and found the horn wall about a good 12-15mm shorter than the sole.

post1.jpg

So resected the bad horn wall, set an open toed heartbar then vetteced the sides.

post3.jpg

post4.jpg

Pony walked off with a smile on his face. I had to leave the toe open because there was still fluid draining from the area. Why the open toe - just felt right at the time.
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  2. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

3. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

4. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

Nicely done!
  5. Offline

Mike Maddix Member

what is the product you have in the heel/commisure area?
  6. Offline

It was like puddy, I put it in the sole area to keep the Vettec from seeping between the shoe and the hoof before it dried.
  7. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Mikel I like the idea of the vetec up the wall. I have always shied against this shoe but the vetec spreads the attachment loading well.
  8. Offline

I stopped in the other day to see how the pony was doing. She brought him out and he was going just fine. If I had rubber joints, I'd reach round and pat myself on the back for this one.
  9. Offline

CptlHorseshoeing New Member

Fabulous work!
  10. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

I somehow missed this thread till now. Great job Mikel.

Regards
  11. Offline

I'd like to report this pony is doing well. The hoof wall has since grown down. I do have a heatbar shoe on and feel it will stay for some time as additional support is needed. Will post a pic next time I'm out to see it.