Gaited Horseshoeing

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by Platerforge, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Offline

Platerforge Guest

Do you shoe gaited horses; breed; and pictures of what you do.
  2. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

Yes, balance foot and leave alittle more hoofwall than a performance or speed horse. Watch how they move because alot of gaited breeds seem to not have the best conformation.uu
  3. Offline

ray steele Administrator

This question has produced 1 response in the 14 or so days that it has been up.

For those interested ,I would suggest www.shoesbywilhelm.com as a source for pictures of some gaited/padded shoeing.

ray
  4. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

5. Offline

Platerforge Guest

yes, I was hoping to get a discussion started on who has used these type of shoes. I have not; and don't know all of their uses; would like to talk about it.
  6. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Linda,

one of the reasons that i send folks to Earl s site is because well 1st he s a friend of mine and more to the point, it shows a great # of shoes that certianly are not vanilla.

As Earl says in the site, "think about it, it'll come to you".

Ray
  7. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

Some of his shoes just dont look like they actually would fit alot of feet and not sure of the use's he intends them to do? I see them more as works of art? Don't even know how some would go on because of all the little extra's he has added to them..I suppose the TWH industry has enough problems with the packages that go on now and the methods used? Over the past 12 yrs or so at my primary TWH barn I have pulled alot of packages off and gone to lite shod or plantation or use plain ole flat plates..never seen anything with screws or springs , not sayin they may or may not work? Just my experience with what I have had to deal with coming from the heart of Walking Horse country? Also so tired of diamond heeled and toed with borium added and sometimes two sizes too small for the hoof?
  8. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Gary,

every one of the shoes on Earl Wilhelm s site will nail up ! course there may be a pad or three involved, the screws and springs are corrective, not precurssors of pf flyers, re look those spring shoes and see if you can envision rotation and laminitic possibilities !

some of those shoes are probably "one of a kind" because the problem never came up again.

alot of the saddlebred and standardbred farriers were pretty ingenious with the remedies that the came up with to keep dobbin going, alot of those guys made shoe boards similar to what Earl has.
    regards
    ray
  9. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

Thank you Ray for the clarifcation...I was and always am amazed when I go to his site...
  10. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

Still scatching my head over the front shoe with long toe clip and looks like a cresent rib cage built into the toe? HOW do ya nail that one on?
  11. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Gary,

the "rib cage" is what rebar is to concrete

can you picture a hoof(remains of) on a stacked show horse with the package missing along with the toe?

the nail hole behind the arch hopefully find hoof, the two in front of the cage are dummies ,

if all goes correct, the horse makes it's class,

ray
  12. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

Ok Ray that makes some sense , just have to wrap my little brain around that?Question do the pads have to be cut out in the middle or what? Really confuses me for some reason???:confused:
  13. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

Have any of ya any photos you can post of horses wearing these big pad packages? Ive never shod any gaited horses looks very interesting. To be honest I'd never even heard of a TWH til I saw threads on horseshoes.com a few years ago.
  14. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Gary,

as seen in some of the pictures, if padded and the particular mechanical frog support warranted then the pads might be cut to make the device workable, most times the pads are full, just stacked to adjust angle and add length.
    as i said somewhere in here ,i ve heard the " looks dangerous " comment a # of time and have been places where i could sit back and eaves drop to hear i some one say that the"long pointy thing" is driven into he foot,or turning the shoe over gives "to much traction". It's amazing what folks tell themselves about things that they won't fess up to as just not understanding or simply asking.

The entire display is really something to see, almost too much to comprehend at one sitting, four tables plus three or 4 glassed cases behind them. I've been surprised the AFA, or some of the other venues have not brought it in , i've yet to go to a function that it,the display, did not draw a considerable following ,often times folks coming back 3 or 4 times, usually with a # of questions after the initial visit.

David,

send Earl an email and ask for some pics, I know he knows how to use a camera!

Regards

Ray
  15. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

Shoeing gaited horses is a lot like ride a mopad or makein love to a big girl...its a hell of a lot of fun but you damn sure don't want anyone to k.
    ow about it
  16. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

HEY Travis, I resemble the remark!
  17. Offline

ray steele Administrator

resemble? ...as in moped, plus size female or you don't tell?
    just wanting to learn!

Regards

Ray
  18. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

gaited horses.... but haven't you heard about the benefits Ray? big girls provide shade in the summer and warmth in the winter
  19. Offline

grimwood Member

I shoe mostly Tennesse Walking Horses for trail. The biggest difference in the way that I shoe them is in the trim. I trim the fronts with a little more toe and leave a little more heel in the back. It is usually enough to keep them from stepping off shoes and interfering. Then I go from there depending what the horse needs. I'll take a couple of pics this weekend.
  20. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

Funny how alot of people will crawdad when they come across a gaited horse..IMHO Farriers Should KNOW how the breed of horse they are working on ,so they can help that breed do what it was bred to do...??