healthy stride

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by travis dupree reed, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

This horse was wedge lat like this ..I just don't follow ...really would have been worse this was how trim but also it would have had a wedge on the high side.. IMAG0529-1.jpg IMAG0528.jpg
  2. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

First we need to eliminate the perspective distortion and image tilt from taking a picture of the picture on the computer monitor with diverging image planes . . .

There . . .
    IMAG0528.jpg
  3. Offline

Thanks tom...still not much better.. have you guys ran across this healthy stride up north yet ... This is as few I have been apart of ..there is always a bar wedge pad cut to where one or the other side of the shoe is wedged.. it may be any number of feet..could be one hind and one front ..it could be 3 feet...just all over the place..
  4. Offline

The guy (Dave Crew) came to my area about 8 years ago. I attended his seminar along with a few other farriers. He seemed like a nice guy and the horse owners at the clinic were fawning all over him.

Two of the farriers from the clinic bought into his sales pitch. Dave went on the road with each of them to teach them hands-on how to apply his "system." The result was that both farriers wound up with a bunch of crippled horses and in order to keep their clients from firing them they had to go back and re-shoe for free every horse that was done that way.

He hasn't been in my area since then, and I don't think he would receive a warm welcome if he came back.
  5. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

I know that Pat and Linda Pepperoni bought into it at one time but I don't know if they still subscribe to the (un)healthy stride paradigm.
  6. Offline

I never thought much of their tires either.
  7. Offline

Brian Byrd New Member

Same guy came through down here. He talks a good game but when he put a wedge toe on a club footed 6 year old my BS meter peaked and I left early.
  8. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

Not to endorse this current group of charlatans in the shoeing world but I wonder if 100yrs ago the local smiths thought William Russel (Scientific Horseshoeing) and Dollar and Wheatly (Horse shoeing and the Horses Foot) were full of it?
  9. Offline

Did any of them ever shoe horses for a living?
  10. Offline

I wonder if those guys kept pushing forward after lame horse and lame horse... I'm so for new things ...I enjoy open minds and can find a use for any idea as long as it helps horses or at the least not hurt the others .. at some point people need to pull the plug on stuff where the bad out does the good..
  11. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

Tom, Russel was famous for shoeing the top speed horses in North America; after retiring from full time shoeing he went "on the road as consultant /instructor/book salesman/winner of medals at numerous Exhibitions. Wheatley, I believe was a full time shoer and in his later years an instructor at a UK Vet college.
    You ought to read these books.
  12. Offline

I have the Handbook of Horseshoeing by Dollar and Wheatley. Very impressive hand illustrations for the anatomy and a good historical reference.

From what I seen of excerpts from Russel's writing he was a darned good carpenter and salesman, reminds me of that "Healthy Stride" guy - both of them really suck goobers as scientists.
  13. Offline

I can assure you nothing about the crew bunch aka healthy stride as any science back ground.. Jim crew was a saddle breed shoer for the most part...his son Brandon as far as I can tell is just a kid skateing on daddys shirt tails... If someone knows diff I'm all ears.... Truthfully Jim should have kept with padded work ..he seem to do ok with that and it was decent work... Some where some how he up on the parreli folks and is steady been trying to cash in off there name any way and any how they can... If someone can inform me of a diff path or something I'm missing I'm all ears..
  14. Offline

George Spear Member

he studied a bit of the cross check work on lameness and misunderstood it and misapplied it to performance horses.