High Low, and angles

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by ijumphigh, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Offline

ijumphigh New Member

I have a 4 year old horse that has high heel low heel syndrome. Over the course of a year he went from sound to unsound, had xrays, ultrssounds and MRI with no clinical abnormalities.
    Upon checking his angles recently discovered he has gotten even more upright (64 degrees) on high heel foot which was 56 degrees 11 months ago.

Asked shoer to drop his heels gradually to return to an angle closer to where he was when he was sound.

He dropped him 8 degrees today. That seems like a huge drop to me in one shoeing. Do I need to do something to prevent tendon or ligament injury/strain such as have a 4 degree wedge pad put in to make the drop not as extreme?

I am including radiographs showing angle change.
  2. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Your xrays are not the same foot. One of them is backwards. :confused:
  3. Offline

david a hall Moderator

One horse is called pioneer and the other is called ramsbrock.
  4. Offline

ijumphigh New Member

Not sure how that happened

Here is more with links to photos

First to clarify, he dropped heel, and hoof angle changed 8 degrees, from 64 to 56. He did not remove 8 degrees from heel ;-)
  5. Offline

david a hall Moderator

When you say he is unsound, do you mean he is lame? you look qualified to know the difference. Is it a mechanical difference of aquired gait? I think high low is a bit simplified for your horse, it has a limb length disparity. What was the reason for medicating the fetlock joint?

In the vid it looks like the left hind is tracking to the mid center line and the right hind is tracking the right fore. at about 1min 30.
  6. Offline

ijumphigh New Member

Injected fetlock because upon blocking fetlock (moving up from foot) he went 100% sound.
    Yes he was lame at vet check and again now.
    Yes, I see that hind tracking. He does have shoulder assymetry resulting from high low.
  7. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Or does he have high low as a result of shoulder asymmetry? This is a big subject and one that causes lots of debate. The observable difference in the position of the head of the scapular on the right and left will be reflected in the angle the scapular then makes with the humerous ( this can be observed in the chest) It goes on all the way down the leg to the capsule. The hoof in my opinion is a reflection of these forces not the cause.
  8. Offline

ijumphigh New Member

David:
    Thanks for the insight.
    Interesting to think about for sure.
    Do you have any thought on how to proceed with his feet in terms of angles, heel heights, rockers, etc?
    I do find it interesting that he was sound last year, and when fetlock was blocked he went completely sound, makes me think the limb disparity is not the cause of his lameness?

Attached Files:

9. Offline

Shane Wood Oklahoma

I would be interested to see pictures of the sole.
  10. Offline

Cody Gilreath Member

So would I

Cody Gilreath, CF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member

To address your question of dropping him 8 degrees. Is the horse comfortable? Are his heels on the ground? Is he digging holes in the stall to raised the angle of the foot?
  12. Offline

scruggs1 Active Member

You need a definitive diagnosis first and foremost. It is great that you are keeping the records of angles and using them as guidelines, but realize that just because he was sound last year, or last month for that matter, at "X" angle does not mean that the present situation is comparable. Lameness does not depend on angles, heel heights, shoe fit, positions, etc. it is dependent on pathology. Until you diagnose the pathology, the rest is hypothesis. When you get a diagnosis, then you can start building a plan for alleviation.

Not necessarily. The limb length disparity could certainly cause a gradual deterioration of tissue which could result in your present condition. Not necessarily pointing in that direction, but conformation anomalies are never 'off the table' for underlying causative factors in pathology.
  13. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

At 4yrs of age Really. get off the horse turn him out for 6-8 months and let him grow up. seen it to many times that eager owners want babies going asap. Did you know that WBs do not fully physically mature until about 9 years old........ the so called increased foot agle over the short period is a "Pain Response". One will chase an undiagnosed lameness with needles and monies until the baby grows up or is totally broken. the pony looks like a keeper put your eagerness to rest for a while; you both have a lifetime......BTW, next time you upload rads leave the garbage off them and make 'e m a bit smaller so they fit on most screens....
  14. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member

Comparing the xrays from 2011 - 2012 for purposes of measuring angles is comparing an apple to oranges. The toe is farther forward in 2011 which give a lower angle. The toe is farther back in 2012 which will measure a higher angle. Although there is a clear difference in the palmar angle between the two.
  15. Offline

david a hall Moderator

I am reluctant to advise on the shoeing on this one as the cause could be complex. I think that as Mr P advised a rethink on the management would be advised. Certainly where disparity is involved then treatment of muscle tightness and spasm, which inevitably become a factor, can greatly improve the recovery rate and improve the acquired gait. Looking at that vid the next thing will be a sore back and or hind limb pathologies, as I said this is a massive subject and eludes to how the whole horse works and each component is dependent on another to propel a horses mass.
  16. Offline

DeniseMc Member

xrays-3.jpg

Does that look like a broken wing on the coffin bone or is it some anomaly/artifact?
  17. Offline

DeniseMc Member

feet=2.jpg

Hard to see the heels in the corresponding photo, but almost looks like they had abscessed?
  18. Offline

DeniseMc Member

xrays-4.jpg
    Looks like the joint is under stress in the 2012 right fore compared to 2011 right fore? but could just be the stance when the horse was radiographed.
  19. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Yep. If not communicated to the palmar process no problem. See a 4 years old just shipped from the "old Conytry" with 8 broken processes. Sound..... Thus the rads of just lateral shots are worthless to make an informed opine in the OP's questions. a series of 5 per foot is usual and customary in any foot lameness situation where i am from......
  20. Offline

DeniseMc Member

Horse not sound on either fore: More radiographs then?