Horse that has daily episodes of falling down - safety

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by aliciathompson, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Offline

aliciathompson Member

Hi guys,
    Haven't been here in a while but ran into Ray at IHCS and decided I need to get my butt back on the forum. :)

Sooooo I have a client, I've only shod the horses once, they are good to shoe, super good.
    Owner seems nice enough but I have been told by several people that the horse falls down everyday in its stall.
    I personally witnessed it have what appears to be some sort of seizure thing...... It was really crazy.

Anyways I do have a few horses with narcolepsy I do but they are all under 16 hands and it seems easy enough to keep them awake.

This thing is a very sweet but ridiculous 18.hh Dutch moose dressage beast thing, I think it has neurological issues.
    I have little doubt it would crush me if it felI. Other clients have actually asked me not to shoe the horse.

What would you guys do?
    The horse is soooooooo polite but I don't think it's worth my career.

Exit strategy ideas? Oh and everyone has asked me not to tell the owner they have warned me so I can't even say I know about the falling down.
  2. Offline

aliciathompson Member

Oh and she is moving so I can say I don't go to that area but the phone message she left asked if I can't go to the new barn that I give recommendations for a farrier I trust.....

I'm already warning the ones I am close to but .... I know I wish I was warned, how do you handle that?
  3. Offline

monty.styron Active Member

Be strate up with them .tell them you dont feel comfortable working under the horse.... find a vet with a sling or throw him and do him on the ground . Dont let them talk you into doing it if your not comfertable with it . I tell my clients that we do it my way or not at all . PS good to see you back
  4. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

every yr we lose someone in our trade to this very situation, WALK AWAY
  5. Offline

OR you could tell the client, you'd be willing to shoe this horse european style, where she holds the leg and you work along side. I hardly ever feel bad when the owner gets it...
  6. Offline

aliciathompson Member

Ok thanks guys I will go with that and not die. lol

I'm still a bit conflicted about other farriers though. I have warned my friends who work in the area but ideally every farrier should know the risk this horse poses before getting under it.

No one told me till I had started shoeing it and the owner still hasn't come clean.
    I know I can't phone everyone without maybe risking legal action.... But I don't want anyone else finding out about this horse the hard way.
  7. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

I'm two or three thousand miles away, so you couldn't recommend me, but is there some arrogant jerk, six week wonder around you could give her number to?
  8. Offline

aliciathompson Member

lol badness lol there is an arrogant jerk but I don't trust him so couldn't refer him, and still don't want to be part of getting him paralyzed.

I was thinking I could call a few that are known for being able to handle themselves with really naughty horses, give them the background and let decide for themselves. It's good money. I added a "too fricken big surcharge" and she didn't even blink at it so the money is there if someone wanted it........
  9. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

bit confused here , have you actually shod the horse yourself ?
  10. Offline

david a hall Moderator

It probably won't fall on you Alica, I recon it's sleaping apparatus is at fault...
  11. Offline

aliciathompson Member

Hi yes I shod it.... Interestingly enough. I did the hind hooves only once because the last farrier did it fronts and never came back..... Maybe that should have been my sigh.

Anyways at that visit about 5 people told me secretly of its falling.
    And that its last owner was in a coma for 2 months because it went down when she was riding the horse so current owner got a good deal.

I felt obligated to shoe it next cycle till I could figure out an exit strategy that didn't expose the fact I had been warned, but between the first visit and the second one I was there for other horses and witnessed it having an episode. Full out sweat shaking and staggering, barn staff refused to touch it because they said when "this happens" he doesn't know where he is and will just run you over or fall. Owner showed up and put it loose in the arena where it proceeded to run for 40 minutes straight like it was being chased. Seemed like his nervous system was stuck in the flight mode.

Anyways David you might be right it might never fall on me, I have that feeling in the back of my head but I think that's a risk I don't need to take. I also think when multiple clients at multiple barns hear you have taken over a horse and go out of their way to request you not shoe the horse it might be good to take the warning, and appreciate their consern.

It's a weird situation
  12. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Here's an exit strategy that may work. You walk up to the owner and say " You stupid %$#@*&, why didn't you tell me the horse was dangerous to work on?" That may do the trick.
    Sounds like the horse needs to be put down or have several thousand dollars of diagnostic work done, then be put down.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. Offline

I don't understand your sense on obligation. At least the horse's condition has warning signs. I wasn't joking about having the client hold the legs; fairly common in Europe
  14. Offline

aliciathompson Member

lol I really wish I had the balls to do that. Can I borrow yours ? Jk lol

My very first thought when I saw the episode was that there is no reason anyone should be shoeing it or riding it.
    It moves great when it's not falling down just doesn't fly with me.
  15. Offline

aliciathompson Member

Brian honestly you bring up a good point. I can't really be responsible for everyone's problems.

Oh and I know in Europe they do that but I thought you were joking because at least with my clients most couldn't hold a leg up for more than a minute without getting whiny. :) it would surely make a point.

I did think of a farrier in the area who uses stocks. I may suggest him and give him a heads up.

Oh and the major episodes have warning signs but the daily episodes apparently are just him falling over. At that barn most stalls are mucked with horses still in them,(100+ horses) no one will go into the stall to do that with him because he has just fallen over while they were mucking.
  16. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

Are the people who warned you about the horse clients of yours? They should understand that you have to tell the owner why you can't do the horse. I would go to the client and tell them what rotten ass holes they are for trying to get you killed which is exactly what they were doing by withholding information about a dangerous horse.
  17. Offline

aliciathompson Member

You guys really are making me think. I was bothered she didn't warn me but by nature I just assumed she was to dumb to realize she should say something. Considering she still hasn't told me about him falling I guess she is hiding it and likely the last farrier told her that's why he wouldn't be back. Hmmmm

As to who told me, a few of my clients, a few of her friends and some people she pays for services related to her horse.
    I may just have to be blunt and not mention specifically who told me but make it clear even people from other barns know of the issue and have made me aware of it. That may be the exact lead in I need to recommend she call the guy with a set of stocks. That is really the only halfway safe way to shoe this moose of a horse.
  18. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Just tell her it was her friends.
    It probably won't be an issue much longer as he'll be found dead in his stall one morning soon.
  19. Offline

Mike Lawrence Member

You said you witnessed it "having an episode." Just be honest about it if you don't feel safe. I still limp from the wreck I had under a horse that I knew to stay away from and the owner still asks me to shoe it every time I see him. Sometimes you need to look out for yourself because a lot of owners just want their horse shod and we're cheaper to replace than the horse.
  20. Offline

aliciathompson Member

Thanks guys. You are right.

Mike Lawrence thanks for mentioning your personal experience.
    I am so lucky not to have any chronic physical issues. I want to remain that way and this horse in perticularly poses a serious risk.

Glad I bumped into Ray. I've been mulling this over since late December. You guys are great!