I may have to find a new career

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Draftshoer, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

I have been shoeing for a little over ten years now and have been doing good. Over the last two years I have lost a ton of clients (maybe half) for various reasons, mostly because of people getting out of horses all together. I have had a few switch to someone who works cheaper than I do but they were a small part of what I have lost. In addition to losing clients there has not been many new ones to take there place. I am not able to make ends meet at this time shoeing horses and I am at my wits end. I don't know anything else I could do to attract more business. I don't want to quit doing what i love doing especially when I think of all the time and effort I have put into this. It is very depressing to lose my trade to something I have no control over. This is what I'm faced with right now. Do I keep up the way I am and hope things get better or do i just walk away look for another way to make a living. I am having a really hard time with this so any thoughts or ideas or comments will be much obliged
  2. Offline

Cody Gilreath Member

It depends on too many things to give a clear answer. Like how do you run your business, what kind of clientele do you have, do you show up on time, keep appointments, treats people kindly, keep horses sound, etc.

1.)Horses. What kinds of horses do you work on?
    2.)Location. Do you live in a good location? Some areas just are not good, like mine.
    3.)Clients. What do they place value in?
    For instance clients where I live want sound horses and keep shoes on but they have no idea what a good job is so price and how you treat them and their horses is what they are concerned with.
    4.)Specialize. If willing you might be better specializing in a certain discipline and moving outside of a bigger city.
    5.)Survey. When all else fails come up with a survey and maybe ask your clients how you can serve them better.
    6.)Price. Do you deliver with what you charge? I'm in the "low rent" district myself but I charge twice what others do here. But my clients know im going to be on time and trust what I'm doing. So do your best to educate yourself, run a professional business, shoe every horse like its a million dollar horse, and charge a professionals fee.

Who knows.... I'm just rambling

Cody Gilreath, CF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

I mostly shoe back yard type horses and drafts. My drafts are my high-end horses. Even though some of my clients have VERY nice horses I still consider them to be "backyard" horses. I guess you could say I'm in the low rent district as well. I'm charging every dime I can and still be competitive, I charge more than most but less than a few others. I always arrive on time to appointments or call if I will be late. I always said I made a lot of money over the years from guys that didn't show up. Moving is not an option for me right now either. I have thought about expanding my work area but I'm not sure that would help either.
  4. Offline

Cody Gilreath Member

Where do you live?

Cody Gilreath, CF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

Northwest Georgia
  6. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

you'll be best served by expanding your work area. after all, why not drive 40k miles like the rest of us and don't forget the books on tape...
  7. Offline

Layne Member

This probably the best answer .. I drive 35-40k a year ... And the only real improvement to my book in the last 5 years is in the farthest areas away :(

Sent from my phone
  8. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

My farthest client was about an hour away. Now my farthest client is about thirty minutes.
  9. Offline

dana fenn It's complicated . . . .

That's sad . . . back in MN it was tough to find a farrier to do Drafts. :(
  10. Offline

Layne Member

I wish mine where all within an hour ... Good share are over 2 hours ..

Sent from my phone
  11. Offline

Platerforge Guest

Don't give up!!! we need heavy Draft horseshoers. Advertise that you will travel to do show drafts; and all expenses paid by the customer. get the Draft horse mags and advertise.(y)
  12. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

Big horses have been my specialty since I started. Not really my bread and butter but they do make up a good part of my clientele. I am wondering if I should focus strictly on drafts (I have done everything from trims on the backyard percheron to scotch bottoms on show hitches) and travel wherever I need to to work on them and find a part time job to take up the slack.
  13. Offline

Platerforge Guest

YES, concentrate on Drafts
  14. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

I am much obliged to everyone for the replies. I am more than willing to try anything to boost my business right now. I guess this means I will be putting a lot more miles on my truck.
  15. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Draftshoer (sorry but I don't know your name),
    Are you getting enough for the drafts? You should get at least three times the rate of a saddle horse. This could make longer trips profitable.
    I have a large area, about 150 miles north and 70 miles south. I schedule the stuff at the far end for a couple of days. I like to drive and have good roads with no traffic, and the nicest scenery in the country, so that helps.
  16. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member

If your farthest client is within 30 miles you have it to easy. I'm not sure if the recommendation to concentrate on drafts is a good one since that is already what you do and it's not going well. How many drafts are in your area? No matter how hard you try you can't please everyone, so your probably not going to do all of them.
  17. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

I find that for every hour I work, I usually spend an hour driving. My farthest customers are about an hour and a half away. I go about that distance in 3 directions. (to the east is Canada). Some days I'll spend 4 hours on the road. But I enjoy that part too. It gives you a chance to rest. A lot of days I can leave the truck home and take the car, if I schedule things right. The truck uses 3 times as much gas as the car. Before I started using the car, I was spending over $100 per week on gas. Now I spend around $20 - $30 per week.

Regards
  18. Offline

David Van Hook Member

How far into NW Georgia are you? I know in my area it's either backyard horses or get close to Atlanta. Maybe you could try to schedule so you only have to make long drives on a few days a week. Seems to me a lot of people in our area are getting out of horses completely.
  19. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

George I have been
    been ask that very thing more in the last six months than ever...folks asking to haul in for cut price..
  20. Offline

ray steele Administrator

I have always had a shop business here, it was when i started to charge $5.00 plus for barn visits that some folks who would never think of coming to me started trying it out, some to save $5.00, i did not lower my shoeing price, just added $5.00 plus for the call. Pretty amazing the responses of those who were new to coming round. None continued after the 1st couple of go rounds because they counted the gas, and time involved, those who always brought them to me continued, but for them it is convenient, they are on their way to someplace else,or they want shoeing at a time that i m not on the road but here.

The best is folks getting to know that you ll be there at a certain time, for me it is most Saturday mornings, I'm usually cutting the grass, anyone can stop in from 6;00 am till noon, non regular customers do ,to have a shoe tacked on to get to a show,ride,drive or clinic, some Saturdays 6 or 8 new found donors make their donation, a % before i get to finish the newspaper, and coffee................ and i m a saviour and great guy because their regular guy could/would not get there in time. like getting paid to cut my own lawn,drink my coffee.

but if your gonna do it on a regular basis, be ready for folks dropping in anytime it is convenient for them, and be ready,even if it is your anniversary or kids birthday party, to learn that you are an arogant prick if you say no. ask me how i know!

if you decide to go the way of haul in, my suggestion would be ,don t lower your shoeing price, just don t charge the newly instituted farm call.

regards

ray