I'm Crossing My Fingers!!!!

Discussion in 'Announcements and Forum Help' started by Eric Russell, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Offline

Eric Russell Guest

I just set up a cdn cloud server. I don't know exactly how this all works but the website is still working. It says it takes about 24 hrs to take effect so hopefully I didn't break anything. :eek:

I'm no tech wiz but from what I understand the further away you are from where the actual website is being hosted the longer it takes for the website to load. The cloud server somehow has locations all around the world so the website should load as if you were close to the actual server.

This website certainly doesn't need a cloud server at this point with only 4 users. :D But since it involved doing some things that I thought would shut the website down I figured I'd test it out now instead of when the website picks up.

On large websites the cloud server says it almost doubles the speed at which pages load. From my end this website is loading quicker than any website I been a part of and I'd like to keep it that way in the future.

How's the website loading for you guys?
  2. Offline

William Kiner WCB # 362

3. Offline

Michael Allen Champion spokesman for UK toolmaker!

4. Offline

Eric Russell Guest

LOL, Nice! I just got word that the site is now on the cloud server. I don't think anyone will see much of a change in speed right now but as the topics grow I doubt we'll see a slowdown either.

I might need to make a private forum for the WCB soon. :) Especially since Robert Whitt said he won't post on that site anymore. LOL
  5. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

It's too fast. I'm not used to this. Can you do anything to slow it down?
  6. Offline

Eric Russell Guest

Oh just let me keep playing with things and I'm sure I can figure something out. :eek:

I'm really liking the alert system on here.
  7. Offline

I think if you could fill the top if the page with scrolling advertisments it might slow it down.

Hey how about the stock ticker Tom wanted!
  8. Offline

Eric Russell Guest

hahahah! Man, I'm not a fan of going to a website and seeing nothing but logos and advertisements. Then again, it will be nice to get to a point that someone would actually like to advertise on my website!

I'm not going to get into the horseshoes.com vs this website though. Steve's doing the best he can do with what he knows. Since this website is new we can all sculpt this site into what we all want. Hopefully, with help from everyone, we can turn it into a great site.
  9. Offline

I dont want to make it a contest either. I think most people are a little harsh to him...
    i was just trying to think of ways to slow down your loading speed.

Photo uploads are lightning fast. I will try to take some working this next week.
  10. Offline

Eric Russell Guest

I had it get stuck on a photo, it just froze. Luckily you can refresh the page and your post doesn't get erased. I was thinking we could use an image rotator in every post! o_O
  11. Offline

You lost me. What is an image rotator.

How do i respond to an individual post, with it copyed?
  12. Offline

In the far right side of the post there is a "Like" and a "Reply" link. Hit "Reply" and that gets it for you.
  13. Offline

Eric Russell Guest

At the right of each post there is a button that says reply. Click it and it will quite the post. Little misleading!

The image rotator is when you have a bunch pods banners scrolling. They slow down a page quite nicely. Lol
  14. Offline

Ok testing

edit
    For some reason it did not work here. I think its me.
  15. Offline

testing testing.
    this is my first multiple reply
  16. Offline

Eric Russell Guest

I think they're redoing the multi reply at some point. I think as of now if you click the reply quote button it drops to the editor and if you want to multi quote you have to scroll back up?

Yep, I just checked and that's how it works.
  17. Offline

vthorseshoe Active Member

what I am curious about is how you aquired my avitar from the origional horseshoe's.com (when Baron was owner ?)
    After I signed on it just came up without me doing anything. ????
  18. Offline

You are traveling through another dimension. A dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. Your next stop, the Farriers Forum.
  19. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

If you signed up through face book it pulled your avatar from there. We also use gravatar.

Eric Russell
  20. Offline

vthorseshoe Active Member

Tom I got a great laugh from that Sharon and I just chuckled....