inferior check ligament strain/sprain

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by brian robertson, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

I know the old saying: an attorney, who represents himself has a fool for a client. But does that apply to a shoer?
    case in point: Back in Sept. one of my competitive driving horses came up sore after a particular tough cross country course,(lots of hills,rocky and rutted) I thought he was foot sore so I used a pour in and got him through the jog out and final day of the competition. The following week, he wasn't sore but was right either. At his regular reshoeing last week, he got concave straight bars with a thin layer of sole guard and he was back to his old aggressive self. Drove the 4 last night and he's sore again. Now he palpates touchy around his inferior check ligament. No swelling, no pointing of the limb and walks right out, slight nodding at the trot. I thinking it's "lay off" time for him but this new team is just starting to gel so just like any other owner; I don't want to quit with him.

Any shoeing recomendations?
  2. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Brian,

I don't believe in giving any comment bout shoeing if I m not there looking at the animal, so please take this as chit chat ,1 farrier to another over a stout, of course, you will supply the stout,

consider raising the angle with a shock absorbing wedge pad(rim or full) if you can t get 3 degrees by trimming, get away from the sole guard, let the soreness recede(time) then drive lightly,1/2 of what you did last time out. if no soreness ,go to 3/4. etc..

Ray
  3. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Get it ultrasounded first. Origin of the check and suspensories are to close to be manually manipulated for a pain response. Good Luck!
  4. Offline

Just took out a pair tonight; left the gimp at home. Man, I hate when I can't play with all my toys!

Ray, I never had much luck wedging for check ligament issues with clients' horses; first time for me dealing with it on one of my own. I thought my guy was fit enough; guess not apparently.

Jaye, got the Vet clinic appt for Sat.

Roland Thayer VMD was using some oversize onion shoes on some of these type injuries, to keep caudal aspect from sinking into the footing. Any thoughts?
  5. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Brian,
    as ricky ricardo might say, "splain to me how a horse is going to sink into "rocky footing" "

ray
  6. Offline

Onion shoes for rehab is what he was talking about...

What I should have done, was withdraw my entry after I saw what the course was like. I suppose I'm lucky that not more of my horses were injured
  7. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

wait for the ultrasound pard. Also proper blocks to isolate. then we can parlay.........
  8. Offline

thanks, I'll get back with you
  9. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Brian,

please keep us informed as to how you proceed.

Thanks

ray
  10. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

http://metamoraequine.com/documents/high_suspensory.htm
  11. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Just a note: sometimes the block(s) can distort the ultrasound image(s) in some cases.....and after thought after thinking of this case in the afternoon; after 2 beers.....
  12. Offline

Well Ray & Jaye, here's what I know.... nothing.

Went to Vet clinic, my horse came out of the trailer like a overly caffenated golden retriever and NEVER took a bad step. Trotted him in straight lines & on the longe on pavement, gravel, grass and deep sand and nothing, nada no nodding what so ever. Pulled off sole guard, did the same and nothing. Pulled barshoes, did the same and nothing. Palpated check ligaments/suspensories, no response.

Took some pleading to get the ultrasound machine out and no difference between left (previously sore one) and right was found. No perceptable damage, their words.

I thought, possibly adrenaline would make him "forget" about his pain but after 1 1/2 hrs and 2 Vet techs playing with him/eating grass and yawning;still nothing. Was told to bring him back when he's sore. Well duh!

Got back home, off loaded him, turned him out with his buddies and they were off to the races, with him in the lead, to the back 40.
    I don't like that, now I won't be able to count on this horse unless I can find out what's really going on.
  13. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

just damn . . .:(
  14. Offline

Update: That sucker came out of the stall sore on ther other side. Palpates touchy on the right now in the same area with slight nod when turning either direction. No Vet available today; referred to the University for emergencies. I'm starting to think this guy is just screwing with me or it's neurological.
  15. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

16. Offline

ray steele Administrator

With this additional info i d say that s a viable question Tom

ray
  17. Offline

Not heard of in Michigan but worth a blood test. I never seem to have "normal"issues.
  18. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Now you sound like a horseowner, oh yeah, you have that hat on. Best of luck and hope it answers positive.... at least then you can treat it!

Ray
  19. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Do coffin joints. horse is approx. 9 years old?
  20. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Brian,

any update about this horse?

Ray