Is there hope for this horse?

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by Gabino, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Offline

Gabino Active Member

This morning.The owner want a minimal life quality.What's can I make here? The PIII left is totally vertical.The rigth hand is impossible of pick up.The hooves are like stones,but I have my grinder.

soc1.JPG soc2.JPG soc4.JPG
  2. Offline

Gabino Active Member

3. Offline

Gabino Active Member

In the barn there was 43ÂșC

P1060039.JPG

P1060040.JPG
  4. Offline

Marc Jerram FdSc AWCF www.thefarrier.co.uk

Did you have to dope the horse to use the grinder on the hooves? How long has it been since the last trim? You cant help but think the owners are totally to blame
  5. Offline

Gabino Active Member

Yes sir. 1 cc Xilazine in vein was enough for cut the hoof with the grinder,but three neuroblock aren't enough for pick up the hand.The last trimm (and first) are since six months.
    The horse is a rescue horse.The owner want a little comfortability for the horse,but I'm exceptical.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

I'm afraid, if the Vet can't address the issues with the tendons and the subluxation, all you did was cosmetic. Maybe euthanasia would be more of a kindness than trimming/shoeing.
  7. Offline

Gabino Active Member

I agree with you.Brian,but the horse is not "my horse".The emotions of the owner are another chapter in the relation patient-vet/farrier.I repeat here the words of an doctor; " I'm commit to get all possibilities of health.The patient or his family must to say "it's enough".
  8. Offline

What are the Vet's next plans?
  9. Offline

Gabino Active Member

The vet is the owner.Cause of the neuroblock dont'd work..(n)

Two cycles more. If the horse isn't enough comfortable, he will put down.
  10. Offline

Is this vet familar with dr. ric redden? It could be time for his continueing education in disaster management?
  11. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

the vet right on; "Tincture of time". A learning opprotunity for all involved.
  12. Offline

Gabino Active Member

The vet is a vet of cats and birds,but she knows nothing about horses.
  13. Offline

Gabino, so is it a HE or a SHE? you've referenced to Vet both ways. Cats & birds? The poor horse doesn't have much of a chance then
  14. Offline

Ronald Aalders New Member

I took on a big reining barn in Italy. More or less similar weather conditions as in Spain I think. So I would like to remind you on the use of fire on hard feet. In other words: get yourself one of these!!

Attached Files:

15. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

"plumbers torch"....
  16. Offline

Be very careful with these sports fans. I have had to pick up the pieces at the vet clinic twice after some newbies got at little carried away. Dealing with 2nd degree burns to the solar corium is not a good time. One we saved; one didn't make it.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. Offline

Gabino Active Member

I have one of these,but,as Brian says,I'm not sure about the possibilities of burning him.Besides, the Murphy's law says the horse with the hooves like stones,never love the noise of the torch or grinder..
  18. Offline

Ronald Aalders New Member

Brian, I burn them pretty hot. In my fitting and softening them. So I really wonder what kind of people managed to really burn them up to second degree burns.

One draw back is when the bottle is still full. Tipping it to allow the flame to touch the foot may allow liquid gas being send through the nozzle It burns up in big flames. Horses spook and I did burn my hands once that way.....
  19. Offline

Ron, the one that survived was a friesian mare. The newbie was a quarter horse shoer (his words) that didn't understand the concept of big feet for a big horse. What he thought was retained sole, wasn't. He couldn't wrap his head around a 4"toe length that was as short as she should be (again his words). To his credit, he paid for the 90 day stay at the clinic and my fees. The one that didn't survive was a Tb mare, heavy in foal, that also didn't have any retained sole and previously had bouts of laminitis. This one was killed by an overly confident barefoot trimmer without much knowledge of equine in general. The trimmer accepted no responsibility and disappeared without a trace.
    What happened in these two cases, was the sole corium was scalded with the steam produced by the torch. The burned tissue then swelled and the hooves then prolapsed. I think the friesian mare survived only because she did not allow him to burn the second hoof. The TB mare let her burn both fronts and one hind. It would not have been an issue if either of these horses actually had a retained sole.
    Again, be very careful and be aware of what you are looking at.
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List