lax tendon for vet

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by travis dupree reed, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

IMAG0176.jpg IMAG0182.jpg ..... Glue on cuff shoe for lax tendons...sorry not the best pics or detailed was in a hurry...
  2. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

3. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

How'd 'ya get his front legs turned 180* so that they face the hind ones? ;)

Apart from that feet(sic) of legerdemain, nicely done. (y)
  4. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

Oh C'mon Rick, you know that's another horse. I did wonder how they got the boots and jeans on the other horse, though.:eek:

Regards
  5. Offline

Lol..both Ricks.. baby was sucking momma.. this case is a fine example of owners trying to save money..they orders two wrong size..try glueing them they self a few times...longest it stayed on was 20 min... They finally called the vet to find a farrier...then I tims them to set time and date with vet as well as we need dope for the baby...of course she was like do you think you could do it without....I said no it be a waste of my time and her money... She give in and so far so good...other than I had to clean the hell out of shoes due to they had try to glue them before they called us...lesson learn for owner its cheaper just to pay what it takes up front....
  6. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

G'Damn Good Job Boy!:)
  7. Offline

Thanks Jaye..Jaye looking at the feet ya see the red bruised area back at the heels.. its almost uniform on the other foot and both sides...any idea why or what would cause that ..
  8. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

What I found this afternoon. :(

uploadfromtaptalk1340160622925.jpg

Thinking SFT as the heel is still on the ground. But its tight, can't even flex it. :(

Just born this morning. 2 months early.
  9. Offline

Pat Reilly Active Member

I bet this resolves in the next couple of days. I would also bet you can flex the fetlock, the issue is probably extending the fetlock....
  10. Offline

I hope so. yeah I can't extend it. I'm a little bummed about it. Thanks for looking.
  11. Offline

jack mac Guest

Looks tucked up, tied up & dehydrated. Anyone been cheeking its feeding properly off mum & getting enough fluids.? If its not supplement Its fluid in take. :)
  12. Offline

jack mac Guest

Oh & that opinion Is not from a jackass. Its From a once practising Vet.
  13. Offline

She was nursing on and off. Mare is producing a lot. She looks a bit better today but is still contracted up in the hinds.
  14. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Used to be that a vet would give the colt a shot of tetracycline for that sort of thing - seems to relax the muscles a bit. I don't understand the mechanism, so I'm neither for or against the idea, but it was common practice in my area years ago. Not sure if that's still in vogue, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.
  15. Offline

jack mac Guest

Its a broad spectrum antibiotic mainly used for infections of urinary tract & intestines. I don't think its used much any more due bacterial resistance.
  16. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Or maybe because the patent expired and we can make more money on newer drugs . . . ;)

I think when used in this situation( off label ) it wasn't the antibiotic properties that were sought but the "side effects" of the drug.
  17. Offline

jack mac Guest

Kim It would pay to have a vet look her over.
  18. Offline

Vet says that this is a congenial defect, and will have to be addressed mechanically. I mentioned the tetracycline, and he dismissed it saying there is nothing medical to be done. Gonna give it til past the weekend and then go from there. Foal is standing and moving along much better today. Still contracted but moving on it.
  19. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

new Vet time. Find somebody who "sees" more than a couple foals a year. tetracycline really only works well in the FIRST 48 hrs.
  20. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

who will apply the "mechanicals "