liability

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ray steele, May 16, 2015.

1. Offline

ray steele Administrator

While this might have been presented in the court case thread that Tom Bloomer posted I thought I would keep them seperate so as to not complicate matters.

I was at a standard bred farm yesterday and the discussion turned to liabilities of a farrier leading horses to/from stalls after/before shoeing,

I was told bout a gent who takes a picture of the horse ,in the stall, after shoeing with his cell phone.............. provides a time dated document to the condition of the horse upon return to the stall.
    This came up as a matter of the high value of some of the horses, . Since I don t carry a cell phone, it made me think that they might be more useful than I thought!

ray
  2. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

I take pictures of my work all the time but I never thought of taking pictures of the whole horse for liability reasons. I wonder how long he keeps the pictures saved? It would probably amaze us how much a backyard plug is worth in court. Since we are discussing liability, does anyone carry liability insurance? If so what does it cover? Example: If you set the barn on fire are you covered, or if you injure the horse in some way are you covered? Would the same policy cover these different things? What sort of liability/malpractice insurance do vets carry and should we be doing something similar? Just a few questions to spark some discussion.
  3. Offline

Mikel Dawson Active Member

I take pics of my work sometimes - especially if there is something abnormal I find and the owner is not present. This way I do have some proof of something I find wrong. I also think we can be so "anal" that we go over board. I'm not going to get so paranoid I start taking pics all the time of everything I do. I guess I'm going to "trust" a bit.

I think in our job we are caught between a rock and a hard spot. Today there is no such thing as a mistake or something just happened. Everyone expects there to be a fall guy for every bad situation that comes along. One I express to all customers is I am only human and I'm not perfect, no one is. I get them to understand I am going to always do my best and treat their horse as if it was mine.
  4. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

i have always been led to believe that public /work liability insurance was compulsory in business
  5. Offline

ray steele Administrator

don t know bout that Chris, but it is not compulsory, as required by law, in this area
  6. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

i have to carry it , dont actually know if it law its just that my Boss has always told me it should be carried , you never know what will happen
  7. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

I put up with a lot of stuff from other people's horses that I would never tolerate from mine. LOL!
  8. Offline

ray steele Administrator

i ve often wondered which came 1st,

the liability, the insurance or the lawyer?

ray
  9. Offline

Mikel Dawson Active Member

I have a feeling it was the lawyer. Who else could think up the liability and insurance scams and how he and the insurance companies could get rich.
  10. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
  11. Offline

david a hall Moderator

I use pics all the time..... The best thing about my liability insurance is the leagal representation..... So if a client rings up a no win no fee law firm I just wing it straight to my insurance company.... My biggest client made it clear 28 years ago when I took him on that he would only employ me if I carried insurance.....