linishing/sanding/grinding horseshoes

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ray steele, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Offline

ray steele Administrator

A person brought up linishing a shoe to fit in the Red Renchin AFJ thread and was invited to post/start a thread on it s own so as to not derail that thread,but did not.

I ve heard the term grindersmith used a fair amt. and I know by the amt. of belts that are sold says that it is a fairly common practice.

Since it was brought up more than 24 hours ago i ll ask,and stand to be corrected ,

If you do linish/sand/grind
    if you don t linish/sand/grind

Why?

Regards

Ray
  2. Offline

david a hall Moderator

I do. Didn't used to but I do now. When I was a fit boy I used to box off shoes with a rasp, now I do it with a machine that make them shiny.
    I do it to blend seamlessly the newly trimmed previously distorted capsule to my now enhancing of the foot horse shoe.
  3. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

My daughter was making fun of me, by asking if I could possibly shoe a horse without my Baldor 4 x 48 belt grinder. Well, the next time she worked with me, there was a county wide power failure and yes, I could shoe a horse without the Baldor 'cause I had her, for boxing and safing with a hot rasp. I haven't heard her mention the grindersmith comment again. Kids, just gotta luv 'em by working the snot right out of 'em
  4. Offline

Joey Aczon Member

I used to, but after a couple years of seeing my efforts covered in spray paint at a horse show I generally box/safe with the hammer. I also took all but two angle grinders out of the truck in an effort to reduce weight being hauled around. I don't grinder smith unless I have to anymore.
  5. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

I love my grinder. It makes life so much easier, and prettier. If they ever make a digital bender and laser cutter that can fit in a truck and cut and shape a perfect shoe from a piece of steel, and is affordable, I'll get one.

Regards
  6. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

I have a grinder in the truck but 9 times out of 10 I use a rasp.
  7. Offline

gary evans old and slow

Never use one cos I don't have one...
    :)
  8. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

The unlanished truth, eh?
  9. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

I grind the branches on the hoof side and come around the heels for a nice bevel and looks. The medial branch gets a bit more and the ground side too. I like to fit full. Takes less than a minute per pair unless they're my hand mades, then it's about 20-30 minutes of grinding to make them look good.
  10. Offline

Clint Burrell Active Member

Took the sander out of the truck. Use the rasp when needed. Mostly w/ pads.
  11. Offline

Gene Richards New Member

Haven't got room in my van for a linisher, bit use a cordless angle grinder with flap wheel for boxing off
  12. Offline

Mikel Dawson Active Member

I use a one, why not?
  13. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

i think this post was started after a comment of "linisher fitting " , it has been an observation by several that the art of using an anvil and hammer is becoming less frequent , i am seeing more and more farriers selecting a shoe and just grinding to shape , whilst it might suit one or two feet i believe it put nailholes in the wrong place as regarding the whiteline and leads to bad hoofwall
  14. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

Chris , some lads just cant fit shoes it is simple as that
  15. Offline

some struggle to dress the foot
  16. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Chris,

i ve seen alot of shine put on the edges of shoes and a fair amt of boxing of heels finishing of edges with and without pads etc.. But I can honestly say that I never seen a shoe fitted via the grinder/sander or that thing you folk have a linishering thinger, well that s not to say it doesn t happen in Bill Adams hand made country,but then there is more metal on the ground than on the hoof.

This fitting the shoe to the hoof via linishing must be something that is taught over across in your puddle, cause,that I know of the disease has not travelled well to these shores.
    Spose next they ll be fitting the hoof to the shoe via linishing, I ll be sending belts over........and bibs,it could get messy.

regards

Ray
  17. Offline

david a hall Moderator

I use a baldor on most jobs I do, I'm worried now that I can't fit. :) mostly I use it on the shoe behind the last nail or behind the widest part of the foot. I like the lack of sharpe edges and the chrome finish. If I use it for the front half of the foot it's because I have fitted it wide, or as the uneducated say giving it support.
  18. Offline

ray steele Administrator

But if...... lets just say they fit a shoe very well,even excellent, using the linisher,via linishing (grinder/sander etc.) would that be incorrect, say, as opposed to fitting it poorly via the hammer?

Isn t correct.....correct by any means,vs incorrect.........?
  19. Offline

boxing and polishing is not fitting Ray , a lot fit the foot to the shoe with a rasp ,
  20. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Chris,

please read my question again, I clearly asked about fitting via this method that was brought up "linishing" not asking about boxing nor polishing.(post 18)

If, note I ve said "IF", one can fit a shoe by this way of linishing and do it well,perhaps excellent, would it not be better than poorly fit via hammer?

Ray