Looking for some advice

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by CptlHorseshoeing, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Offline

CptlHorseshoeing New Member

I was contacted by my customer the other day with "Dr kati may be contacting u about one of our mares that may need some custom shoeing. She has developed upper fixation of the patella. So her stifle sticks. "

I've been a farrier for 7 years now and I'm just coming across this for the first time. Online i have read that you can rock the toe and/or drill and tap a stud into the outside heel. (The drill and tap method didnt work for the horse i read about) any suggestions? I have no idea how to work this and the vet hasn't contacted me.
  2. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Cptlhorseshoeing,

i d wait out the vet and his/her script before i went guessing at shoeing options, presuming that the vet has seen the problem, an answer may already have been arrived at, and or a discussion with you might be educational to you and the vet.

regards

ray
  3. Offline

Thanks Ray, once i hear from the vet I'll know more. I guess i was asking if anyone else has encountered this and what their "fix" is. Just more ideas on the table. When i do shoe this I'll take pictures for everyone.
  4. Offline

Heard from the vet half wedge on the outside wall with a rolled toe.
  5. Offline

ray steele Administrator

interesting,

i d very much like to know how it works out,

were you given any of the thought process put into the script?

thanks for getting back

ray
  6. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

I also am interested in the logic behind this prescription, and the results. Don't leave us hanging, Cptlhorseshoeing. Keep us posted. Thanks in advance.

Regards
  7. Offline

Here's how she described it to me,

Upper fixation of the patella occurs during extension, so theoretically moving the break over point further back would "force" the leg to move before a full extension. The wedge provides further support to the outer hoof wall and aids in the tendon movement.

Here is an article that discusses the issue with other corrections.

http://www.atlantaequine.com/pages/client_lib_UpPatellerFix.html
  8. Offline

I will go shoe this horse next week. Probably Tuesday. Btw, hello from Illinois.
  9. Offline

ray steele Administrator

I ll look forward to reading your description of the situation and outcome of how you handled it. thanks for the Atlanta equine reference and post.

Ray
  10. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

Is the horse base narrow behind?

Good post, by the way.

Regards
  11. Offline

Not really no, this lady is a Friesian breeder so her horses just have some big feet. Vet called me last night and asked me to hold of on the pad and just try the shoe first.
  12. Offline

Here's the shoes as promised. Very was there, asked me for a small rock in the shoe. The shoe is a St Croix 3 lite

After application we had a few drinks and have her move at a walk/trot on the long walks of the arena. Looks great, proper break over, no muscle sticking, just fluid motion. I'd say it worked. :)

Attached Files:

13. Offline

Btw, the picture is taken off the back of a car, that's why there is a"gap" on the quarter there
  14. Offline

Jack Evers Active Member

Guess I'd always considered this a conditioning or veterinary problem. Get them in shape and if that doesn't work, resort to cutting the medial ligament. Let us know how the shoeing works.
  15. Offline

I have to agree there Jack. Conditioning I'd on the owner/trainer. Horse was fine until she became fixated. Like i said above tho, she's now moving wonderfully. Happy owner and vet.
  16. Offline

ray steele Administrator

happy horse.............../ farrier!

ray