Lost Shoe

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by carolyn, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Offline

carolyn New Member

My horse lost a back shoe and we do not have a farrier until next Wednesday. Should I have the other one pulled or leave it until the farrier can get here?
  2. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

If you do not have an urgent need to ride the horse until your Farrier can make it back then just keep the horse in an area where it will not tear up the barefoot..or duct tape around the edges so it doesn't chip up...good Luck!
  3. Offline

carolyn New Member

My main concern was if there could be any ill affetcs to my horse in any way... being on three shoes for so long. Great idea about the duct tape. I will do this right away.
  4. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

I think you're wondering if having 1 hind hoof essentially 5/16 longer than the other by virtue of having a shoe on it will cause any damage to your horse in four days time. I don't believe it will. The bare foot might chip, or bruise, or something because that's what bare feet sometimes do. Don't know why you would opt for 2 bare feet over one. One of my clients horses lost a shoe last summer, and a helpful guy at the ranch pulled the opposite one for the lady. I thanked him, because I was then able to charge the lady for replacing 2 shoes instead of just one.:)

Regards
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member

I had a customer last year lose a shoe so they pulled the other one, so instead of one short and sore foot to deal with I had two. The one they pulled ended up being worse than the one the horse pulled.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  6. Offline

carolyn New Member

Just what I needed to know and I will just keep me eye on his barefoot. Appreciate your expertise.
  7. Offline

Zach's Horseshoeing Member

You can also put diapers on the foot for added protection
  8. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

9. Offline

carolyn New Member

I checked out the castle plastic boots and like the idea of having at least one front and one back to have on hand. In the meantime I have applied vet wrap and covered with duck tape and my horse has been able to go out in the pasture. I just change it each morning when he comes in. I have been able to do some light riding as well. Farrier comes in two days and will have a horse with three instead of two shoes and a bare foot that look pretty good considering. ! Woot! Woot! Thanks all for your help.