Laminitis Mechanical Founder

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by Eric Russell, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

Third time shoeing this horse. Seems to be coming around nicely.

Eric Russell

Attached Files:

2. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

How did you determine that a mechanical founder existed?
  3. Offline

The lamellar wedge and the sole much lower than the wall is why I called it mechanical founder.
  4. Offline

I have to look, I can't remember if I took pics the first time I shod him or not. I know I was wondering how I was going to get the horse to walk off the cross ties once I saw what was under the shoes. I might have been more concerned about him walking that day than taking pics. I have pics from the last time if I can find them.
  5. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Easy, plug your EOBD code reader into the data port and turn on the ignition. :)
  6. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

It could just as easily be metabolic in nature. And, since the preponderance of founders we deal with are metabolic in origin..............
  7. Offline

I would say there was a foreign object made of steel creating extremely unnecessary amounts of leverage on parts of the foot that didn't need it. ;)
  8. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Since most of the time the distortion due to high ground moisture results in some degree of laminar stretching in the dorsal wall and seems to be accompanied by some degree solar flattening as well, I've begun to look at this condition as mechanical founder. At least in my practice this is the preponderance of "founder" I deal with.

But I think when talking to horse owners it is wise to only use the word "founder" when discussing the metabolic type, else you'll wind up arguing with their veterinarians until you have radiographs that clearly show the situation.

[IMG]
  9. Offline

This was the third shoeing. These pics don't come close to what the feet initially looked like. I guess I didn't take pics of the first time.

I was getting calls for a few months to come take a look at this horses feet. I didn't mention founder to the owner but in a situation like this I'd have no problem mentioning it. Sinking comes to my mine also. :(

Eric Russell
  10. Offline

aliciathompson Member

Nice work. I am sure th e horse would pay for that work himself if he could.
  11. Offline

Here's this guy again.

uploadfromtaptalk1334174230294.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1334174245067.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1334174258399.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1334174271128.jpg

Sent from my M9300 using Tapatalk 2
  12. Offline

John Muldoon Member

Eric I have real good luck when I fit my founder horses just behind the widest part of the frog not sure why they respond to the fit but when I try to fit shorter all Hell breaks loose.
  13. Offline

John, without knowing the goal of added heel length I can't say much about it.

I do believe heel length is very over rated though.

Sent from my M9300 using Tapatalk 2
  14. Offline

John Muldoon Member

In as far as support on a founder hoof I find it to make a lot of difference.
    Question off subject why on one computer (xp operating system) my posts have spell check and my windows 7 system does not?
  15. Offline

Here's what they look like now...

uploadfromtaptalk1367250883935.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1367250851114.jpg

Eric Russell
  16. Offline

david a hall Moderator

did he founder in both feet Eric? There is a lot going on there.
  17. Offline

The previous Farrier achieved a great amount of capsular rotation in both fronts!

Eric Russell