Milled tooth files/(rasps)

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ray steele, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Offline

ray steele Administrator

I just rcd via UPS a new very competitively priced hoof plane. This new style has the look of the German made hoof plane but is heavier and is intended to retail at $43.00 each I only have 9 of them for now!

I will post pics of this new plane, and of it's cousin the 6/6 plane this evening. The 6/6 retails for $43.00 ea.

Regards

Ray Steele
  2. Offline

ray steele Administrator

here are some pics of the 6/6 and the new I Plane

Regards

Ray Steele

Attached Files:

3. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

When can I get a 6/6/6 rasp . . . for a Saton smooth finish.
  4. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

How are those milled files at hot rasping?
  5. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Tom,

the 6/6/6 should be ready by all hallows eve. ,just waiting on your order and check!

we have tried a 6/9, the # have to do with the teeth per inch, I expected the 9 teeth per inch to last longer and cut finer, because if the added cutting edges and finer tooth arrangement but that has not been the case. Both the 6/6 and 6/9 performed the same to me and a few others. Often times farriers told me that they initially went to the 6/9 because it "looked " less coarse, looked being the operative word as opposed to how they performed. We have also experimented with a curved tooth, basically a body file concept. It works also but one needs to change your stroke to get a good finish.

If you look the I Plane and the 6/6 are the same teeth on the "coarse " side, the difference is that the I Plane has chip breakers added, since a very nice finish can be achieved by the "coarse side" we thought the 6/6 would be a good tool.

I will be using the new I Plane today on 4 horses and will let you know how it works this when I get back to the keyboard.

Eric,

I can't answer how the mill tooth files work for hot rasping, I have not tried them in that service, my guess is that they would not be my 1st choice for that purpose but when I give it a go I'll let you know! The thoughts have been to come market with a very good tool for hoof work at a more reasonable price, and had not given thought to hot rasping.

Regards

Ray Steele
  6. Offline

dana fenn It's complicated . . . .

Pictures?? ;)
  7. Offline

Is this appropriate content for a forum where sensitive horse owners lurk? :barefoot:
  8. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Well,

here I sit broken hearted....

The new I Plane just didn't get off the ground, not sharp to me, it didn't feel sharp to the touch but the proof is at the hoof, and the coarse side just didn't cut it,

the finish side was real good, back to the drawing board,
    I've still got the 6/6 s and Pferds to tide me over, I'll have an update/s as they happen.

Dana

I'll try to get some pics one of these days

Tom,

do you want pics of the 6/9 in action also, if so have your credit card ready and a young lady will be standing by to take your info and direct your voyeurism to the x rated thread...

Regards

Ray Steele
  9. Offline

Red Amor Active Member

Strait away the thread turns to smut
    he he

I don't suppose Ray that you've had need yet to sharpen these new rasps to see how they buff up
    they look quite course and they tear a muslin wheel to shreds
    I also wonder at the price here as we pay through the nose for every thing
    good thread thank you mate
  10. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Red

Price wise if we can get them working correctly at the $43.00 usd mark they would be $13.00 less expensive than the German plane. I heard of a farrier in Oklahoma that said he used one German plane on 750 horses. If correct per horse cost was pretty small. I believe he was resharpening them.
    With the flat rate shipping box of USPS 13 pcs of the Pferd hoof plane travel to you for about $67.00 usd plus insurance.

Red

Your correct I've not sharpened one yet, I don't think that they would act any different being re sharpened on a muslin wheel than a conventional rasp. That said the new I Plane is gonna need alot more than the wheel. The 6/6s have not bothered the wheel either.

Regards

Ray
  11. Offline

Scotchbrite wheel on a buffer does a great job on the Pherd . . .
  12. Offline

Red Amor Active Member

Thankyou Ray
  13. Offline

ray steele Administrator

I think I discovered why the new I Plane was not working so well.

It appeard that the chip breakers have been set by pressure and in so doing the xtra material has been put off to the sides and to some extent to the top of the tooth. this i believe has put a slight bump of steel just above the cutting plane of the teeth. I just finished putting a die grinder to each chip breaker, enlarging it therfore reducing the cutting edge but it now cuts plastic block very similar to the German plane. the test on the hoof will be coming.

Regards

Ray Steele

ps trivia info, there are 266 individual chip breakers on an I plane, in case your ever asked, or atleast on the one that I'm working on today!
  14. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

Ray, I started using the 6/6 rasp yesterday. After the first couple of horses I started loving it. Takes a lot of hoof with just a few strokes and leaves a glass like finish.. Something I hadn't thought about is that you are actually getting two rasps for the price of one, because it has two course sides, and because of the way it cuts you don't need a smooth side to finish. Holding the blade corners is like grabbing a porcupine, but they don't seem to cut my fingers any, so I guess I'll have to learn to live with it (sigh).:p:LOL:

Regards
  15. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Rick,

is that game of holding a porcupine something unique to Maine?

i m hoping that it doesn t spread to us in the lower 49 !

please keep me posted about the 6/6, thanks

ray
  16. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

Lower 491 what???;)
  17. Offline

ray steele Administrator

oops,
    should have posted lower 49 United States, meaning all the others, Maine being Maine!

sorry to add to your state of confusion, does that make 50?

Regards

Ray
  18. Offline

Grabbing a porcupine, kicking a skunk, hitting a hornets nest with a bat, all rites of passage we go through as kids up here in the upper 1.

Regards
  19. Offline

Mikel Dawson Active Member

You forgot pissing on an electric fence-.
  20. Offline

Damn, you're right. And, talking your friends into doing it.

Regards