My gelding

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by Kim Turner, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

Didn't want to clog up the everyday horseshoeing thread. So I'm posting the before and after of the trim and shoeing here.

He did have the shoes on for about ten weeks due to me being injured.

uploadfromtaptalk1356885345166.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1356885385732.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1356885418802.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1356885460048.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1356885493191.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1356885527779.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1356885557703.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1356885581909.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1356885619325.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1356885642489.jpg
  2. Offline

Platerforge Guest

Much better now I was very happy; until................you reset the old shoe(n)......C-
    you should have made a handmade shoe for your horse and took a pic.
    even if it wasn't the best shoe; I would given you a A+
    and smitty and others would have helped you on your forging skills
  3. Offline

I am not able to do that at the moment. If not for being physically injured yes I would have tried a handmade. At the very least I would've shaped some new shoes. I let this horse go over 4 weeks because I'm trying not to aggravate the injury.

Smitty actually wanted to see the pictures so I went ahead and posted them.

Seems everytime I think that it's better I do something that aggravates it.
  4. Offline

dana fenn It's complicated . . . .

How did you get hurt, Kim? Very sorry to hear that . . . . :(
  5. Offline

Gabino Active Member

I would change the shoeing concept in that horse. I will try explain;
    -The lateral side of the hoof is very flared,with the withe line stressed,
    -It has a hematoma in the pince-quarter.
    -The hoof wall is more wide in the lateral side than the pince-quarter and medial side of the hoof.
    -The breakover is not appropiated for the horse,cause of,it has hematoma.In my opinion,the horse don't want this breakover.It's the unbalance medial-lateral of the hoof that forces the hoof to breakover in that point.
    -If you forge the rolling in that point,you force the hoof to breakover in that way.
    -In my opinion,you must to fix a wide branch in the medial side of the hoof and a very narrow branch in the lateral side of the hoof.
    -If I was Smitty,I forge a G shoe for that horse and I will put my name in the center of the heartbar.
  6. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Gabino, Why would you put your name on Smitty's shoe? :barefoot:
  7. Offline

Draft horse snatching me just right. Pulled tendon in my right forearm. It was real bad for the first 4 weeks, then felt better so I started doing more and now it goes back and forth with "flare ups". There's no real way to rest it cause it is used with everything you do, not just hammering or picking things up. So I guess it just stays aggravated. I can feel knots close to my wrist to about half way down. I don't feel them on the left side.

I've slowed down in work so hopefully this will resolve sooner. Til then I'm trying to lessen the amount of "aggravation" to it. But I couldn't let my horse keep going over due.
  8. Offline

He is toed out and interferes.
    Also hoof was broke back and stretched forward.
    The extra roll to the medial side has helped to keep him from hitting. It is rolled across the toe as well.
    I fit the shoe tight to the lateral side and full on the medial.
    I don't understand what a G shoe would be for or is it to let the lateral side sink more?
  9. Offline

slowshoe Member

I'm not sure I would call the lateral side 'very' flared on this horse. Though I do see stress in the white line.

Can you explain the thinking behind this to me? I can see this having a couple of effects. Ground reaction force reduced on lateral side in soft ground do to less area being 'floated'. IE the lat sinks in more than the medial. Or on hard ground GRF are delivered to a smaller area due to the thinner web of the shoe. In such a case I dont think it would beneficial to a horse with a stressed or compromised white line.
  10. Offline

Gabino Active Member

I say if I could be a good forger than Jhon.
  11. Offline

Gabino Active Member

I dont say you have had a bad shoeing. I'd shoe in another way only.
  12. Offline

Gabino Active Member

I will try it. The horse has the lateral side of the hoof more long and leaning than the medial. It makes the horse touch the ground firstly with the lateral side. Then,it hits the ground with the medial side. In the soft ground,paddock,box,sand,etc,the narrow branche penetrates in the ground material a bit. Cause of ,the medial side can't hit the ground. To stop this issue of the hitting is fundamental for the health of the hoof.
    The wide-narrow branch is the system more easy and cheap for counteract that conformation. If the hoof wall is thinner,you can fix a G shoe.
  13. Offline

Platerforge Guest

14. Offline

david a hall Moderator

I was going to PM you this message but I will make it public. Looks ok to me, I have seen worse from people who should know better. If I posted every job I did on the net people would tell me I need to do this that and the other and they might be right. Looks like a well trimmed foot, shoe looks symmetrical and quite nicely finished. Far from a disaster. I might of put a new shoe on it but hey im injured at the min so I can see the benefits of refits.
    I can see a reel improvement in your work, It isnt Johns work, but not many are.
    I think some peoples advice can sound a bit nit picking, but good on you for posting your work.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Offline

Gabino, He is bench kneed as well. Every cycle the lateral side grows longer, which I tried to show in the befores. I lower it a hair, and it'll still out grow the medial. I will take pictures later, but I believe he does deviate at the fetlock as well.

Also he's popped both splints.
  16. Offline

What toe wear? All he has done is polish the original roll I put in the toe. He walks around a pasture all day eating. I could probably reset his shoes over and over at least til I finally start riding him.

The roll to the medial side was a suggestion from Jaye to keep him from interfering and so far it has worked even with him going 10 weeks on this last cycle.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. Offline

IMEs, fitting the medial branch full contributes to interfering (like a side weight on the inside) and violates Wolf's law. Also grows a medial flare, compresses the medial coronary band and proximal sensative lamina, and causes separation and deterioration of the medial wall (delamination of the stratum medium from the stratum externum around the nail holes).

Severely toed out horses have severely asymmetrical feet often with the pastern offset where it inserts into the DIJ. Making the foot symmetrical might be aesthetically pleasing to a carpenter, but it really pisses off Wolf, Newton, and Archimedes. And horses don't go very well when shod that way.

You are fitting the shoe to the toe and cheating the heels. Keeping leverage concentrated in the toe is contributing to the foot stretched forward. Also have big bump in the coronary band just above where the heels end on the shoe. Anterior GRF leverage is lifting the toe up and forward and the heel bulbs are falling off the back of the shoe - hence the bump in the coronary band.

Lowering the heels and backing up the footprint brings the foot off the ground SOONER in relation to the body (shorter distance from heel buttress to shoulder) and reduces the medial trajectory in the flight phase of the stride (foot lifting sooner as the shoulder passes over the footprint allows better opposite limb medial clearance).

Drop the heels another 1/8" (LOOK AT HOW THE BARS ARE FOLDING OVER AND COLLAPSING ON TOP OF THE SOLE!!!), fit the heels of the shoe to the point where the heel buttress emerges from the coronary band (probably need a bigger shoe to do that), move the breakover point on the shoe back to the back of the web (full web rolled toe and/or rocker), and let the horse stand in a stall for 1/2 hour after you trim the heels before you nail on the shoe so the coronary band can settle (after which you will have to rasp the bottom of the foot flat again because it won't be flat after the coronary band settles.

The frog will stick out well below the heels after you trim them back. By letting the horse stand on this trim for a while the frog will put pressure on the digital cushion which will in turn raise the angle of P2 and give better phalangeal alignment. With the breakover point on the shoe set to the back of the web, the reduction on the GRF anterior lever at the toe will also contribute to better phalangeal alignment. AND with as much stretching as you have in the WL of the toe, you should not expect to judge HPA based on the dorsal wall compared to the pastern.

Use a thicker shoe and roll it all the way to the back of the web. A Kerckhaert Classic Roller is 3/8" thick and already has a half round section. You can forge the roll in the toe to the back of the web on these shoes with a lot less hammering than a regular shoe.

Bassackwards. Medial side weight, medial GRF leverage, and increased medial breakover resistance.

If you have two "G" shoes plus two "S" shoes plus an "R" shoe and two regular shoes you can spell . . . :D "SCRUGGS!" :D
  18. Offline

To me fitting full to the medial is balancing out this distorted hoof. If you look at him standing all the weight is to the lateral.

I do think he could do with a smidge more heel on the shoe.
  19. Offline

david a hall Moderator

I dont think I would of shod that any different. I doubt I would of considered that foot a problem EVER. Its a five weeker, 6 max, most capsule distotion can be kept in check with the correct cycle and that can vary. Once the foot grows it starts stearing the limb and dragging the sensitive into the nailing zone. Keep the foot tight and avoid laming it, flat shoe, right size with radius and symmetry, you keep doing what you are doing Kim, you wont please some on here but nothing will.
  20. Offline

It ain't a dining room table and you aren't "balancing" the distortion, you are promoting it - as evidenced by medial wall flare and separation.