Navicular Shoes

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by Platerforge, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Offline

Platerforge Guest

Have you used in the past any Navicular shoes; aluminum or steel?
  2. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

3. Offline

Platerforge Guest

well explain.........
  4. Offline

Mal Nicholson New Member

Both more aluminum ones
  5. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

On most horses with caudle heel pain, I have good results with the KB Alum eggbar Navi shoe..
  6. Offline

7. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

Please define your understanding of what constitutes a 'navicular shoe'.
  8. Offline

Platerforge Guest

you have got to be kidding....:cautious:
  9. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

why cant you just answer the question sensibly instead of trying to derail it with such a stupid pedantic question . the op asks if anybody has had sucess using shoes for navicular, anybody who shoes for a living knows each case requires a different shoe , the op is trying to get debate flowing , you as usual try to knock it on the head , is this one of the reasons folk are posting less and less ?
  10. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

Chris, you and I both know that Rick answers everyone the same..he like alot of guys here I really learn from and respect. I get so tired of vets crying NAVICULAR at every problem a horse has if it gives to on foot!!! IF we are all on the same page and we can get the vets on our page, because we are the mechanics who see the horses feet at least 8 times ayear. It seems I am battleing owners and vets lately, BUT only because their "ideas" are NOT working... it pisses me off something bad....
  11. Offline

Platerforge Guest

so getting back to navicular shoeing........

2 years ago had a racehorse that had to have surgery on it's navicular bone and after surgery vet wanted a good plater to replate this horse; but with a shoeing perscript........I was the only one available on such short notice within the hour could come out and shoe. vet went on about the injury and surgery; agreed.....and before he could say how he wanted the horse to be shod.....I said how it should be!!!!!! and the vet was amazed I even knew more than he did about the shoes and the differences. after explaining that the KB-Nav. Egg bar should be on the horse; the vet totally agreed and didn't even know that they existed and in aluminum.....but he questioned me on what to do to the other leg.....3* on one side you must compensate for the other; agreed and had the answer to that as well. KB-open heel on the other foot; even though doesn't need a 3*; had to for a short amount of time till healing took place of 6 weeks in those shoes. the vet took the very next day a trip out to see the shoeing and complemented me to the trainer!! on a job well done!!!!; and that he never would have thought of that shoeing package. horse sound; back in training, racing end of story..........the Vet listened to the blacksmith......this is how it should be.
  12. Offline

Platerforge Guest

so do I; and one in particular which I have posted here.
  13. Offline

George Spear Member

PLR tailored to suit case with a variety of wedge pads or Wedge PLR or Morrison Roller Sigafoos Blue polymer shoe. All seem to work very well.
  14. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

No, but I've pulled off a lot of them that weren't gettin' the job done and replaced them with better shoeing.
  15. Offline

Platerforge Guest

yes, especially if it is not navicular for a specific problem.....then the that "shoe will cause more serious harm!!" and needs to be pulled and replaced with better shoeing
  16. Offline

Platerforge Guest

have not tried the PLR or the Wedge PLR as of yet; but have had great results with the Morrison Roller; and a couple of platers ask me a shoeing question and I told them to use the MR and one guy came back and said no one would have ever had use them on this racehorse on "Stall Rest", of course; and good call for someone who never saw the horse. just helping out another plater.
  17. Offline

Really? What was wrong with the question?
    ROTFLMFAO! Had you read the OP for content in context with comprehension you might have a different opinion. Or, perhaps had the OP phrased her question differently eg: "When presented with a Dx of "Navicular", what kind of orthotics do you employ, and, why", my reply would have been different........

To wit, the OP asked
    To be fair, I know of only two shoes that specifically use the term 'Navicular' in their description:
    In aluminum, the KBN shoe, and in steel, the Tennessee Navicular heel shoe and its various permutations. Either of which I have and do use, but not just for horses with a Dx of 'Navicular'.

Was this a lightbulb moment for you?

Wrong again.
    Quien sabe? Perhaps its because of your less than erudite, 'pit bull' retort.
  18. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

I bet he can draw a better clip than you can.
  19. Offline

Who, Chris? If so, I agree. Linda(Platerforge)? I'll take that bet.........;)
  20. Offline

Rick, That Victory 3 degree aluminum wedge was branded for Navicular and "faster breakover".