Laminitis Need advice for a foundered case in India (no farriers available)

Discussion in 'Farrier Advice For Horses With Lameness Issues' started by Art Vandelay, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Offline

Art Vandelay New Member

Hi all, I am a dressage / Three Day Event rider and just returned to India after 18 years studying/competing in the US. (4 year Equine Science Degree) However, there are no certified farriers here, in short...they need supervision in trimming and putting regular shoes on correctly. I have a new client here in Bombay that has a horse (Bolt) which developed laminitis after a bout with fever, and has subsequently foundered. I am attaching the x-rays of him that we took at each stage. I'm literally on my own here with this , and though I have several years of experience observing good farriers do countless therapeutic shoeings, (accompanied tons of horses to Rood and Riddle Podiatry Center as well) I have never been left to do it all myself...so I appreciate all the advice you folks might give me.

He was immediately taken of all grain, and is only on a vitamin/mineral/protein supplement. He also has a muzzle and is allowed to eat his hay before feed time.
    We initially taped some soft foam padding under the frog, until we could source some high density strofoam.
    We applied the Styrofoam pads (as shown in below video) for a few weeks until the EDSS Steward Clogs arrived.
    STYROFOAM PAD VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzUeYjYe5yE
    The EDSS Steward Clog was ordered and I put it on with screws and glue. The exact process I followed is shown in the video below:
    STEWARD CLOG VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYS0fERpCXA&list=UUMOxK0M3dLb00bSQ_IN999Q
    The Clogs helped and he seemed a lot more comfortable...especially in the small sand paddock.
    It is now time to remove the first Clogs, but the last couple of days he has been a little more lame on the RF than usual. I'm not sure if he might be abscessing a bit (we knew that the disadvantage of the clogs was that we cannot view/treat the sole if it needs constant monitoring).
    I need help to assess where to go from here, trim the foot and put clogs on again? I know I will know more once I remove them and see whats going on, at which point I will post an update here.
    I need advice on a derotating trim, regardless of whether the clogs go back on or not.
    The RED circle in the Clog xray shows the nail taped to mark the breakover of the shoe
    The blue area shows the impression material.
    Thanks so much!
    Original RF.JPG Original  LF.JPG Original  LF.JPG Week 2 RF.jpg Week 2 LF.jpg

EDSS Steward Clog RF.JPG
    EDSS Steward Clog LF.jpg
  2. Offline

david a hall Moderator

I've always wanted to visit India.
  3. Offline

Art Vandelay New Member

Hi David, Actually, one of the top thoroughbred racing trainers here uses my physiotherapy services regularly on several of his horses, and he told me he wants to find a farrier that wants to visit India for about 6 months, as he is in need of a good farrier for his horses, and to help train his other men who do farrier work.
    Let me know if you know of anyone who might fit the bill?

Years ago there was another Swiss farrier who visited India frequently, and fell in love with the place so he recently opened up a farrier school in north India somewhere. So hopefully in a few years or so we will have a few more trained farriers around here.
  4. Offline

david a hall Moderator

I don't have 6 months. But willing to fly out and shoe your horse. :)
  5. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Well David is an approved training farrier . . .
  6. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Thanks Tom I forgot that.....
  7. Offline

Art Vandelay New Member

photo 4.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 5.JPG photo 3.JPG shoe.JPG

photo 4.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 5.JPG photo 6.JPG photo 3.JPG shoe.JPG Thanks for the offer David! I will let the owner know. We have a vet coming into town to attend to him tomorrow and do whatever resection needs to be done. We've ordered some Equilox in case he needs it.

After taking the clogs off, since he was really lame in the RF, noticed there was a considerable laminar wedge, and rotten white line. We took off the excess hoof wall that was already separated and causing excess leverage at the toe and the quarters. But there is a big open gap in front where the sole has sunk. We have to get his painful sole off the ground, and he has no good wall up front or even halfway down the medial and lateral sides, so we shaped a reverse shoe and are planning on gluing it on when the equilox gets here, and packing the area from the frog back with the EDSS medium impression material. Will that help??

Any suggestions of particular types of therapeutic shoes that we could put on him... hospital plate shoe?

The vet is also considering a tenotomy of the DDFT
  8. Offline

david a hall Moderator

The DDFT tenenony is quite complicated on hoof capsule front. There is a paper on it I will try and find. The horse needs some frog support, I use a small rolled up bandage and tape it over the frog, that can make a dramatic difference.
    http://www.equipodiatry.com/tenothow.htm
  9. Offline

Art Vandelay New Member

Thanks, will read the paper and tell the vet.
    He is currently on an EDSS Styrofoam pad wedge that is placed from the frog back.
    And there is a sugardine paste under gauze and duct tape on the toe ( elevated off the ground)
  10. Offline

david a hall Moderator

11. Offline

david a hall Moderator

I googled DDFT tenonny, Palmer angle 0 degrees. But google google scholar first and put the search in there.
  12. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Once in a while somebody needs to put you in your place.
  13. Offline

david a hall Moderator

I rely on you for that Tom ....