New concept in the navicular treatment

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by Gabino, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Offline

Gabino Active Member

A lady sent me this pic.It's a "new treatment and shoeing" for the navicular disease and quarter crack:mad::mad:. The next week,I'll go to visite the horse.I'll show and tell about that.I'm waiting the rads.

I don't understand some vets and ¿¿farriers??.What's that shoeing???

MANO DCHA. HERRADURA.jpg crackleon.JPG
  2. Offline

Platerforge Guest

can't see the pic??????
  3. Offline

Platerforge Guest

oh I have seen this before; what a mess. the wedge is for raising the heels and the bar for support of raising; but what about the crack????
    some come up with some of the most stupid packages for they can't shoe
  4. Offline

George Spear Member

The package is irrelevant if the underlying trim is incorrect.
  5. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

Nasty crack looking forward to seeing what you do with it
  6. Offline

Gabino Active Member

Yesterday I shod the horse. Rock and roll shoe,heel floated and impression dental material. cristinaleon2.JPG
  7. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

How is that a r&r shoe? If IM fills in the area you floated, is that not self-defeating?
  8. Offline

Gabino Active Member

The IM is very soft,about 30 shore. It's more soft than the dirty that will fill the floated area.
    c8.jpg
  9. Offline

david a hall Moderator

What is the rational behind this shoe? Does it have any literature with it?
  10. Offline

George Spear Member

Farriers depot has them

http://www.farriersdepot.com/colleoni.aspx

Price: $69.00
    Manufacturer: Colleoni
    Part #: CO-B

Rock N Roll Aluminium Horseshoes bring the latero medial break over closer to the center of the foot, diminishing the articular and ligamentory strain on turning, on irregular ground or in the case of toe in or out conformation. It also diminishes the unevenly distributed stresses on the laminar suspension of PIII within the hoof capsule which is important for laminitis therapy.

Available in sizes 0-3. Sold in pairs.
  11. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Thank you George.Any one want to translate that and make it sound plausable because I would say it would work in the reverse to the claims in the blurb.
    Looking at that crack it wouldnt supprise me if p3 was counter rotated and more on the crack side.
  12. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

For the price I don't think I'd even you that shoe as a door stop.
  13. Offline

Gabino Active Member

No.I can see the rad and the pastern axis is broken backwards.

More info about rock and roll shoe here;

http://www.mascalcia.net/articoli/a2003_56.htm
  14. Offline

david a hall Moderator

15. Offline

Marc Jerram FdSc AWCF www.thefarrier.co.uk

The diagrams in that article appear to be completley inaccurate in my opinion.
  16. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

Seems to me that the shoe is much like the Steward Clog especially as regards it mechanical properties. I think that it wouldn't be my first, second or third choice for dealing with a quarter crack.
  17. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

I know it's only anedotal but one ofthe dressage horses that medaled at the WEG was wearing those & the were 3 horses wearing them at the London Olympics including the Spanish national champion. Not the shoe for all horses by any means but worth a try on a "trainwreck" when nothing else is working...
  18. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Brian I have an issue with that, I don't mind that a shoe works, but I want to understand the horse in question and know which bits of the shoe ameliorate and which bits cause pressure in inappropriate places. We chuck in phrases like train wreck, well what the hell does that mean? There are specific conditions, pathologies, diseases, conditions. If we are going to experiment with a shoe it is a good idea to know what is wrong and how that shoe might help.
  19. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

Unfortunately, the folks with high level(very expensive) horses don't feel the need to share their horse's issues with the public. Maybe we could get Hans Castelijns to come on board and explain his use of these shoes?
    I have reset a pair of the USA version of these, fabricated from a 5/16" alum plate with a alum pony shoe rivetted to the center. I was told the horse had severe ringbone and navicular lesions but with this package was able to successfully compete at the FEI level dressage without medication. I was worried about doing the work, but had an excellent script for the trim/shoe placement and was quite relieved when they rode the horse after the shoeing. Horse, trainer and rider all happy. Whew!
  20. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Good reply :D