new members

Discussion in 'Announcements and Forum Help' started by ray steele, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Offline

ray steele Administrator

any ideas on getting the word out about FF. the reason that i ask is that i see some folk waiting for Horseshoes.com to get back up to speed saying that they have info to revive a thread and i thought that it may be good membership reading and participation here on FF. it appears that they know nothing about us. legal and polite ways only.

Andre has informed me that we have had alot of spammers attacking FF and other small sites of this info nature, nice to know that it wasn t anything personnal but it caused us to change servers and about double the cost per month to be hosted and a fair amt. of time moving things over and installing more anti spam stuff, still some get thru, i think 8 or so were deleted yesterday.

ray
  2. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

There's always advertising in magazines and other websites. Then there's always the free way of creating content which people would be searching for with google.

This is where you knowing the backend would've come in handy. There is no reason you should have to move to a bigger server just to handle spam. There are a number of things you can do to make spam virtually nonexistent but it all depends on how much time you want to put into the website.
  3. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Eric,

what you are saying is probably very true, but i have no wish to learn the back end of the puter world...so i stay away from it,as far as the time involved,i m sure that it holds true also. i can t argue any of the other stuff. thanks for the response.

ray
  4. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

5. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Rick,

i ll pass it onto Andre ,thanks

ray
  6. Offline

IOW Ray, you need to think like a horse owner and figure out what they would type in a search engine (google). Then start a new topic with that as the title. And make the first sentence or two pertain to the title of the thread.

Your forum software developers are aware of the spam problem with this software. Unfortunately, they are in the middle of a lawsuit and won't be able to put out an update till the trial is over. So in the meantime it might be a good idea to change the registration from automatic to manual or semiautomatic. Possibly use img captcha. Maybe start a moderated usergroup so all new members posts go into moderation until an admin can verify them.......
  7. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Eric,

thanks for that, we ll keep tryin

ray
  8. Offline

Shane Wood Oklahoma

Thanks for keeping this site up Ray. Personally I much prefer this site to any of the others I've visited.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

I agree Ray, Proud you are keeping it going..I still am unable to log on over there so I don't even try anymore.Thank you for all you do!
  10. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Shane and Gary,

thanks for that, it is Andre that keeps the nuts and bolts tightened, i basically report when i see the welds being stressed. i ll pass it on to Andre.
    i opened this thread because i saw that a person on Horseshoes was saying that he/she was wanted to put up some pics and that his/her apprentice was starting next week and was hoping that HS would be ready ,

I got a couple ideas from Eric and Rick, if there are anymore the FF would appreciate it.

thanks again

ray
  11. Offline

prairie farrier New Member

After taking just a quick look at your source code and staying along the same lines as Rick and Eric.

Adding the following meta tags with content will help;

"Keywords"
    " Robots"
    " Revisit-after "

Also search engines like Google look for image names.

Having said that, your IT guy is doing a great job and I am glad you have this site up and running, Thank you.
    Scott
  12. Offline

It looks like you need to work on your email settings. I just tested and emails are being sent to my spam.
  13. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Yes, Ray please make sure that any emails you send to me do not go into Eric's spam.