New Rasp and reworked mill tooth plane

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ray steele, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Last week I brought in a case of Hoof Rasps "Silver Bullets", these are supposed to go up against the Save Edge quality,
    Ray being Ray, I decided to see if use one of my tests.............when I was an exclusive Save Edge user those things would cut my hands if I wasn t carefull, my hands are no where near as calloused as they used to be .... so I decided that these new Silver Bullets " should cut my delicate pinkies also.

They did not cut even after full bore pressure on the thumb. Quality control in me said take out a new Save Edge and cut yourself..... I did and it didn t ! Putting full pressure against my thumbs on a rasp , same time ,each thumb, no cuts,no blood. So for a buck less each they appear to match,

I m expecting the I Plane this week, this is a mill tooth like the Pferd, the originals that I had at the Summit last year were very good, cept, the broke when dropped , the factory has made another batch using a different tempering . Hopefully the sharpness and longevity will be able to be preserved. I ve used a couple of the originals over the past month and have been very satisfied. They will trade for $52.00 each.

Ray
  2. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Ray, dose any outfit other than save edge make a rasp in the 'Beast" size.
  3. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Bill,

Save Edge is the only manufacturer of a "Beast" (xtra wide) rasp that I know of.

Ray
  4. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Interestingly Ray I just bought some draggon rasps the other day, they are Save Edge ringers also, they are okay but not great. I expect they are from the same factory, were they in a blue box?
  5. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

silver bullets , are they not Portugese ?
  6. Offline

ray steele Administrator

David,

where are the Dragons made? any good? I know of a Asian company that sent me some to try,the Dragon name makes me wonder if these are of the same, but that is off the top of my head.
    I had them honed here but they still didn t pass muster,

Chris,
    These Silver Bullets are made in Portugal, they could well be from the same manufacturer, we had them honed here ,which to me gave them the feel of the Save Edge that I just got in within days of each other. Again I ve not pushed a Save Edge in years but tomorrow I try them both.
    Unfortunately, I ve been so spoiledby the mill tooth design , I m not sure if I ll be comparing rasp to rasp, vs rasps to mill tooth.

Ray
  7. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Asia rings a bell with me too, unfortunatly I burnt the box!
  8. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

Whats all thoughts about the best finishing rasp out there?
  9. Offline

ray steele Administrator

6/6 mill tooth I plane

ray
  10. Offline

david a hall Moderator

We use Save Edge John, Buy them from NWT and there a good price to. I think a mate of mine uses simonds but I might be wrong on that.
  11. Offline

magicut , the only thing its any good for , takes a lot of practice though
  12. Offline

FYI the makers of silver bullet also make a 17" and 8" horse shoeing rasp they are are about an hours drive from Lisboa . Tomefeteira Ray
  13. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

any pics of this rasp finish Ray,anybody
  14. Offline

ray steele Administrator

I ll try to get a picture up in the next couple of days, i.e., if Mrs Steele will help me out with the computer stuff.

Ray
  15. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Thanks for that

Ray
  16. Offline

ray steele Administrator

FYI,

new P planes arrived today.
    1st test was to see if they would sustian a 2 foot drop with a handle in place, handle 1st, non handled end 1st and a straight drop , handle and end hitting at approx. the same time. This is what made the 1st batch production stop last Feb.. I didn t go 2 feet ,I went 3 feet and it passed,
    At 5 feet it did not survive the 3rd test level. So if you use these P Planes, don t drop them from more than 2 feet. Matter of fact , don t drop them! Fact is, if you want sharp and light, then it must be hard

Come Wednesday I ll test them as to cut and performance.

I ve used several of the originals and they are very good, should be a good tool for a Hoof Plane quality at a $52.00 price range vs the $63.00 Pferd.

Ray

Ray
  17. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member

Bellota raptor been using them for 2 years

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
  18. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Justin,
    Isn't that rasp just 14"?
  19. Offline

ray steele Administrator

The Silver Bullets, Made in Portugal, honed in USA, performed well in comparison to the Save Edge ,I believe that I could get 10 horses from them, which is all I ever asked for from any rasp.

Friday the new P Plane

Ray
  20. Offline

which colour compound are you honing them with Ray ?