Normal practice

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by marty, May 4, 2013.

1. Offline

marty New Member

[IMG]My horses front shoe has come off after ten days on looking at it, the front clench has been hammered down but not flat ?? this cannot be right or is it common practice ?
    can any one help me out on this ?

Attached Files:

2. Offline

aliciathompson Member

Do you mean the clip? Clinches are the nail ends that are bent over, there is no way to tell looking at a pulled shoe how the clinches were sitting when on the hoof. Sorry I need a bit more info. Are you looking at the shoe that is still on the other hoof maybe?
  3. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Thanks for that

Ray
  4. Offline

marty New Member

perhaps the clip if u call it that.
    but the question is still the same Should it be hammered flat -ish and then applied the the foot of the horse
  5. Offline

marty New Member

Above is a pic of the shoe and clip/clench at the toe / front which was hammered down
  6. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Marty,

that pix tells me nothing, much less anything that could be commented on with any thing more than a guess about what you have posted, sorry

ray
  7. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

I know a farrier who if he doesnt want to use clips does it on his shoes and it seems to have no adverse affects but I would never ever do it myself.
  8. Offline

marty New Member

the picture is self explanatory you can clearly see the clip has been hammered flat at the front of the shoe the the shoe was put on my horse like this i have never seen this done before if the farrier didnt want to use a clip why didnt he remove the clip not hammer it down flat then nail the shoe on my horse.
  9. Offline

Platerforge Guest

can put toe pressure at the were the toe clip was hammer-ed down into
    the shoe will and can not be level with the hoofwall if shod cold.
    it will be level if burned in hot; but then you have a reverse divet in your toe area were the clip was.
    Not good.
  10. Offline

AnthonyLawrence Active Member

If it is forged back to a flat foot surface I can't see a problem.

It is common down here where it is uncommon to be able to buy machine mades without clips.... and you don't want the clip.

Power is not often available, so cutting off with a grinder is not usually an option.... and nobody is going to do a round trip to the shop and back to cut off a couple of clips when you can forge it back in.
  11. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

I would grind the clip off if i diddent want to use it
    but i have also hammered it down
    no problems its no big deal.
    i woudent be getting the gun out for the farriers next visit:)
  12. Offline

ray tyron Member

Can you post a pic of the other front foot?
  13. Offline

marty New Member

Hi everyone, sorry i have been a bit late replying , i' ve only now arrived home from Badminton horse trails [ watching not competing ] thanks for your comments and feed back, i can t sent pic of other front foot its [ thank god ] still on.
    the shoe was not level, but was hot shod....I think its best for me to make arrangements for a different farrier , once again thanks all
  14. Offline

marty New Member

yep i ll take a pic of the other foot...
  15. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

Horses sometimes pull shoes no matter how well applied. Clip or no clip. Usually the shoe is sprung and no longer level once pulled. This clip, especially when hot fit, would have no pressure per se on the toe. Perhaps the farrier needed to set the shoe back a little on this foot but not the other, so he decided to hammer the clip down to facilitate that. Is it a tidy job, no....... but could have been a functionally sound one. I'd not rush to change farriers based on that one picture, and without asking him his reason for doing so.
  16. Offline

gary evans old and slow

Marty, I wouldn't change farriers solely on the information you have posted. All horses will pull shoes from time to time and the action of pulling the shoe will twist the shoe. As for hammering the clip flat, it is sometimes necessary to set a shoe back under the toe and it is not possible to do this with a toe clip in place.
    I set the shoe back on this foot because the dorsal (front) wall of the hoof had been stretched forward as a result of a bout of laminitis. I cut the clip off with a hacksaw as is my preference, but had I hammered it flat instead neither you, nor the horse would be able to tell the difference.

atti.JPG
  17. Offline

aliciathompson Member

I think many of us have never seen that done. I would have just assumed it was stepped on.
  18. Offline

gary evans old and slow

If a horse steps on a clip when it pulls a shoe, the clip will usually penetrate the sole rather that bend flat. Fortunately this is a rare occurrence - I have only ever seen it once and that was in a case where the shoe only half came off.
  19. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

Marty you came on to the forum asking if the clip being hammered flat is a problem, I think most posts have said no its no problem and yet you have said you have decided to make arrangements to change farrier 'once again'. I would have to ask did you really want advice or had you your mind made up beforehand? Since you posted 'arrange for a different farrier once again' this sounds to be a regular occurance for you. I assume you are in Great Britain if you were at Badminton, in GB the standard of farriers is among the highest in the world so I would also wonder why you are having so much trouble getting what you believe to be a good farrier in a country flooded with excellent farriers working for less than half the price charged in most countries?
  20. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

David,

Your basic assumption may be correct, but I read the line as "once again thanks to all", rather than "make arrangements for a different farrier , once again". I agree with you. I don't see any reason here for her to change farriers.

Regards