OCD lesion in the stifle.

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by Justin Decker, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member

I was looking to trade for a realy nice reining horse and found out today from the guy that trained him that he has an OCD lesion on his stifle. The horse is presently not lame and has been ridden daily but not hard training. The horse was set for the futurity last year in the open and was on track when the lesion was found by Rood and Riddle in a check up, basically they said he may not make it to the futurity so the owner decided to put his money in another horse and not possibly ruin this horse. I'm going to try and get the rads tomorrow. Does anyone have any experience in this situation with a reiner, I know that a lot of thoroughbreds have these lesions and don't generally develop problems. If I do get the horse he is not going to be pushed to hard and maybe only shown 4 or 5 times a year.
  2. Offline

Steve Marshall Member

We have a Reiner who went fourth at the WEG in Jarez in 2002. He was campaigned hard as a futurity horse. As he aged he got OCD lesion's. For a couple of seasons we had his hocks injected and the vet did a sonar wave treatment the was supposed to break up the lesions. He eventually went lame and we retired him. The wifes new horse died suddenly of EPM and we hauled him out of retirement after a year and had him radiographed and he had some fusing in the hocks and was sound. We got another season out of him and he is now permanently retired. He still runs patterns in the pasture of his own accord. Pattern 5 is his favorite, its hilarious to watch! He has big ole hocks now but he is 15 now. I have another 15yr old Reiner who lives in the retirement pasture with him who is as sound as day he was born.
  3. Offline

Platerforge Guest

if he is FREE!!! then get him. you can then have I think have the lesions removed? ask first; it been to many years from working in the equine vet tech in the vet surgery dept.......they inject; and do the wave treatment too helps put on legends and adequan IV all of its life too.
    and not pushed to hard in the training......he might be ok.......is it a mare or gelding? Mare you can breed; but I wonder if its genetic. if young enough; can get I.F.? papers registered for monies back in the QH showing......good luck
  4. Offline

Lclayton Member

Justin, just this last weekend I sat in on a surgery performed by Dr. James Tilley in Hotsprings, AR where he orthoscopicly(spelling may be wrong) removed several OCDs in the stifle joints of a Thoroughbred. A few months ago I was able to watch him remove some in a fetlock joint. Both horses were up walking right after surgery. The horse from a few months back went back to jumping in 6wks. It is an amazing surgery that does not do alot of damage to the joint capsule. And it works. I believe he is on the leading edge of medicine with this procedure.If you purchase the horse, Dr. Tilley may be able to help him.
  5. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Does that mean he doesn't drag his staples and stitches and gets them all in a nice straight line? :sneaky:
  6. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Same proceedures are done throughout the country; Dr. Tilley is one of many.

T'Breds are notorious for stifle issues. Glad your getting into the 21 century!......
  7. Offline

Platerforge Guest

well justin, did you get him or still negotiating on it?
  8. Offline

Just got home, horse could barely walk out of his stall today so passed on him.

Loyd the surgery is pretty common especially in TB's they say about 70% of them have some form of OCD. Cost about 2,500-3,000 at R&R.
  9. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Would not take my cat to R & R; JMO...
  10. Offline

Lclayton Member

I have not posted on this site for quite some time due to smartasses like you "Mr. Perry". I am fully aware that the 21st century has plenty to offer us, so I don't need your smartass comments. I was only posting to offer my experience with Justin. Dr. Tilley is an amazing vet and I have been able to learn from him. I guess I can only hope to be a smart as you someday. Maybe you could spend more time actually shoeing horses instead of sitting on the computer all day making smartass comments!!!!!
  11. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Any Day "BOY"! Hell I'll pay ya.., to make a point. "I'll be your Huckleberry!"."Come on, Come on, really, seems you have been a bit high strung".....:cool:
  12. Offline

Lclayton Member

I will not lower my standards to argue with people like you. I know thats what you like to see, so you can sit here on the computer all day and be super horseshoer. I've been around, and I know your NOT!!! I'm done !!!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Is my smile offending you? As per usual, another follower of "The Way" goes by the way side... Last time i was in Arkansas... "one could let go of the steering wheel and go anywhere they wanted.... one could say remote control"; nah, just LR economics....LR is Low Rent .....
  14. Offline

Platerforge Guest

he is just like Jack Mac...............American Style:rolleyes:
  15. Offline

Platerforge Guest

good call........sometimes it is not worth the money time or effort and there are other better horses out there to spend your time on.
  16. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

I'll take Jayes advice anytime..:cool: Ya see ole Jay makes us THINK, and I am sure he would be right there for ya if ya needed him..
  17. Offline

I think she just likes to type Gary with no real direction or answering of the questions asked.
  18. Offline

Platerforge Guest

then you should not have ask for advice on this horse; just another American male chauvinistic attitude towards woman
  19. Offline

I didn't ask for advice on the horse, my question was if anyone had any experience with the problem and give a history of the horse. The only experience I have is with Tb's since I don't shoe Reiners.

I didn't need your opinion on if I should buy the horse, I have put together a pretty good herd of horses by buying others rejects and fixing the problems they have. I have 12 that are out of the leading sires in the country and daughters of leading sires on the bottom side as well. All except for the young ones are either producers or money earners.

When purchasing a horse Linda they all have a problem if you look hard enough it's whether the problem is manageable or not is the question.

You also take a chance any time you buy one. 8 years ago I give $7,000 for a two year old stallion owned him two weeks and he shattered his pastern like a glass window, S%$t Happens.
  20. Offline

Steve Marshall Member

Justin I know what you mean, an old farmer said to me " if you have livestock your gonna have dead stock". We bought a mare by Conquistador Whiz out of a Smart Little Lena mare. Great little 14h horse lots of potential. Had her 7months and she died suddenly and best guess was EPM.