1. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

If you have a smaller foot and/or don't need much onion then you can hockey stick the heels then forge them back into themselves to create some mass for the onion.

If you have a bigger foot and/or need some mass you need to bump the heels. Heat up the end of the stock about 2-3". If you pull the stock out and just start bumping, the end will get very wide. Cool the end so when you bump you get some width further up the branch instead of just at the end of the heel. When you have a large onion you don't turn the heel. You forge the heel just like when making a European Barshoe.

To accentuate the onions the front half of the shoe is usually forged into concave or something similar. This is done by drawing the section out while at the same time angling the hammer to create a heavy safe. Now the section is narrow and thick....

Lay the section on the step of the anvil and draw out the inside web by angling your hammer....

Go back and forth a few passes until you get your desired section and get your shoe close to length.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Offline

Here's one with a larger onion. To get the heel quarters turned I had quite a bit of width slightly behind the third nail. I forged that into the horn and walked my hammer to the heel to forge the shape into it.

[IMG]
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

Lovely work as always Eric. What would you use an onion heel shoe for? Looking at yours I assume when you want the heels to float and the toe to sink in. I have always heard an onion heel shoe is great for flat feet to distribute weight on the bars along with the heels but what I was thought an onion heel shoe is I think you would call thumb print heels. I'l have a go at one tomorrow.
  4. Offline

Gabino Active Member

Sweet work,Eric. My hat is off.
  5. Offline

David,

I dont have any set reason to use them. I've used them while a horse was coming back from a tendon injury. Used them last time on a horse which was forging.

Like you said, get some float in the heels and toe to sink in.

I think they're over used.

Eric Russell
  6. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

I believe orginally onion heels were used for corns...beautiful work Eric!! I ask tho how much weight is put into them heels like that? I am ALL for heel first landings but wonder the effects of these ?..I have pulled onion heels off of rim shoes that did the job for the corn. I like you, don't see alot of use for these really nicely made shoes....:) usage is important to my wrist and elbow now days..:)
  7. Offline

its more weight that a normal shoe. Being the weight is towards the middle of the foot I would suspect it has less of an effect than an eggbar.

I see a use for them, just not an everyday use.

Did you use to do heavy competing or have injuries to your elbows and wrists? Are your knives dull and hurting your wrists?

Eric Russell
  8. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

No just 35 yrs takes a toll on the body..I carried a coal forge when I started. Kegs sucked back then..
  9. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

I will admit I have issues keepin knives sharp but I dont cut the sole out like all the other guys do.. I tend to leave some sole, just relieve pressure points, on hoof and foot surface of shoe..
  10. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

I like how you just cleaned up that frog the way you did...on the onion shoe..:)