Opinions please

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by Ryan Williams, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Offline

Ryan Williams Member

I almost don't even want to ask this because I think I know what the responses will be but having some other input certainly can't hurt. Here's the scenario: 12ish year old trail horse with mild hi low situation (left foot is hi, right is low) which has never caused any problems. Horse is usually shod about 3 times a year a barefoot the rest of the time. Even when shod, horse is tender footed in rocky terrain, owner doesn't want to incur added expense of pads.
    A couple months ago the horse fell down on a hill in their pasture and had lots of swelling in various places but mostly on his left forelimb/shoulder area. Horse was recovering fine until a couple weeks ago he became very lame when worked in a circle to the left, and his tenderness on rock became much worse.
    After inconclusive radiographs, nerve blocks and a veterinarian administered session with hoof testers, the vet said. . . .Navicular. Of course. Another farrier who was at the clinic at the time suggested something to do with thin soles, which we already knew about. I'm quit certain this has more to do with a problem up the limb rather than the foot. What do you all think?
  2. Offline

Ryan Williams Member

I'd like to ad that my suggestion to the owner was to start with addressing the hi-low issues and put a flat pad on the affected (high) foot to help with the tenderness. I also mentioned considering an equine chiropractor.
  3. Offline

Platerforge Guest

on thin soles; if you use leather pads [must be leather] and pack it with corona [cornocrise sp?] ...you will get a better sole underneath; and use the corona few times a week on the coronary bands to help stimulate growth of the hoof.
    on the navicular part; set of aluminum wedges with a rolled toe. add the leather pads with corona ....and see what you get.

ps. leather pads come in a wedge and in heavy weight.
  4. Offline

Ryan Williams Member

Well as it turns out I was incorrect about the horse falling. I got him confused with another horse. Oops! Regardless, I just got off the phone with the vet who is actually suspecting flexor tendon issues and wants the horse in 2 or 3 degree wedges with either rocker toes or natural balance.
  5. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Corona - Ingredients: Lanolin, Beeswax, Petrolatum, Water, Oxyquinoline, Sodium Borate, Fragrance.

Yea that will harden up his soles. :confused:
  6. Offline

Platerforge Guest

it helps stimulate sole growth with a leather pado_O
  7. Offline

Platerforge Guest

that's exactly what I just posted:sleep:, dear:sleep:
  8. Offline

Ryan Williams Member

I know that's what you said, and I wasn't disregarding or disagreeing your input in the slightest. Merely, I was updating this thread with new information which was presented to me by the veterinarian who performed the exam and made the diagnosis on this horse.
  9. Offline

No it doesn't.
  10. Offline

Platerforge Guest

well, ask that to all the TB trainers over the years who have used it for thin soled racehorses; who couldn't get them into a race; some in a graded stake race or allowance, owners going thur the roof that horse can't run; plater does this and it works; and horse entered 3 weeks from Monday in a race and at least comes back sound and cuts a check.
    for the most part trainers don't like to run a horse with a full pad; and No-Vibe is okay, and some cases encouraged.
    also you can use reducine under a leather pad with hoof packing and icthomal to pull soreness out of a TB feet before racing in about 2 weeks.
    but it can only be a leather pad; because leather breathes.
  11. Offline

The plural of anecdote is not data, especially when you're the one making it up.
  12. Offline

Platerforge Guest

apparently you have not work on the track as a plater; so you don't know these things. doesn't mean it is made up.
  13. Offline

Apparently one must forgo reading the label, applying knowledge of basic chemistry, and critical thinking to plate at the track in your sand pile, not to mention being cheap enough to get hired in the first place.
  14. Offline

Platerforge Guest

apparently, it does work for what ever makes it work; and even though the going rate is $120 to plate; we replate in 27 days: so $240 per month per horse is pretty good; and for changing shoes for turf is an added extra $120; so a horse can be shod 3 times in month for $360 ~~and all it is changing the shoes, light rasp, shoeing with the new shoes. not bad for a 20 to 65 head horse account with a good trainers/owners.
  15. Offline

Try it without the leather pad and see what happens. Also check the ingredients on leather conditioner . . .

. . . and your math really sucks. Plating for $120 every 27 days is $135/month.
  16. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member

I've always heard it was hard to get paid!! ;):)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  17. Offline

I heard that in Delaware the law was changed a few years ago so that farriers (platers), vets, and other service providers get paid or the trainer/owner loses their track privileges. I know a really good lameness vet that quit horses because he had over $60k outstanding receivables from the racing industry. Cats and dogs, no problem.
  18. Offline

Ryan Williams Member

So back to the origanal topic please. . . Any ideas why the horse all of a sudden has more tender than usual feet AND suspected flexor problems? Keep in mind the horse did not sustain any injury (falling down) as I had originally thought. Basically a horse who is ridden on occasion and pastured the rest of the time.
  19. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Lets keep this on track and stop the bickering! So you dont get on peoples nerve Linda try phrases like I find that .......... works well for me!!!! Try and sound less opinionated or we will fall out and there will be no way back from that.
    Ryan is the DDFT problem on the hi or low heel? do the toes look run forward?
  20. Offline

Platerforge Guest

Okay Dave............I find that this works every single time.