Opinions?

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by Tejun, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Offline

Tejun Member

So natural balance shoeing and natural balance shoes, also cytek which as far as i can tell is identical to natural balance shoeings but the shoe is way trippier lookin.

Is this something that I should delve into further? I have always seen horses that this seems to be helpful, setting the shoe back, but on all horses? Sometimes their hoof capsules contact surface seems to be perfect and setting the shoe back doesn't seem necessary. Is it meant to be an end all be all?

I notice you guys don't really seem to be using those shoes in your pictures.
  2. Offline

Platerforge Guest

just learn how to shoe the horse from the gentlemen here. They are the best; and Smitty, Chris, Dave Hall, Eric Russell, Marc J., and others here will help you more than any pseudo-science of Cytek or NBS.

Note: The NBS shoe does have some merit under extreme rare circumstances and can be a good shoe for a couple of horses will see over the years when nothing else does work; and working with a vet ~~~will work. I do have a pair on right now~~that has been the best shoe for this horse.
  3. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

Sorry to say, Linda, but yet again , as regards NB, you have donned your cape of ignorance and sallied forth for all the world to see. :(
    "In for a penny, in for a pound"...see my comment, above.
    Please tell me you at least did your due diligence before you trimmed the hooves and applied the shoes....
  4. Offline

Mikel Dawson Active Member

I've got two horse who do the best they've ever done on NB shoes. They are like anything else. You got to understand them and they are another tool in your tool box.
  5. Offline

Tejun Member

Rick. I can't tell if you like them or not?
  6. Offline

If you look at see Rick agreed with my post, then read his reply to Linda. I would say he likes them as a tool in his tool box.
  7. Offline

Tejun Member

It was just confusing because you said this,
    and he agreed.

Platerforge said this
    and he talked about ignorance and stuff? To me it seems like you both said the same thing?

Mikel statement
    Platerforge statement
    apologies for being confused here
  8. Offline

Platerforge Guest

Tejun,
    the best to learn from here........they guys are the best there is to offer in shoeing; and very willing to work with you and talk to any concerns you may have. You have a great suopport system here that you can use to your education and advantage.
    trim and balanced shod horse and being able to modify kegs and to be able to make handforged shoes; makes you a better horseshoer.
    trim and hoof prep is was is needed.
    there are books, and videos from Grant Moon, Craig Trnka, ect and getting involved in clinics and the WCB, and associations you want to get involved with in AFA, BWFA, AAPF, ect.; and there are associations that local ie; hammer-in's to have others help you with your forging and get into a mentor situation.
    Good luck and keep asking and posting; Linda.

ps: I just don't agree with Rick B on the NBS shoeing protocol.....it's a protocol.......remember a "protocol"; not as proven as the scientific shoeing that has been around for the last 2,500 years of proven success in shoeing horses.
  9. Offline

Shannon Eggel Member

I personally have never used them , But in conversations , they have been referred to as a fad , and not high on the like list
  10. Offline

I admit there was a time it was the "in" thing. But I believe they have their purpose. Like I say, I got 2 horses who really like them. One horse the vet ordered them, but the other I put on and the horse goes so much better. It's like everything else, there is a time and place.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

WOW! We are here again! The " nbs" therum is for horses that have been neglected IMO. Makes one a Hero of sorts. H'esus people, learn your anatomy per the breed 'uns are working on. For the young ones or "probies", make notes on "every horse" you shoe. Y'uns will see it again if ya stick to (it); Farriery.
  12. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

The NB shoe is just a 'U' shaped piece of metal with a bunch of rectangular holes in it. You can kill a horse with one or you can save it's life with one, the same as with Diamond Saddle Lites. It's all about how and why.
    My favorite NB story was from Thomas from Scotland. He showed a photo of a handmade shoe he found on his land that was made in the 1920's, that violated all of the NB patents.
    Nothing new under the sun.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. Offline

david a hall Moderator

I use them on post laminitic pony's they seem to like the sole cover.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. Offline

Marc Jerram FdSc AWCF www.thefarrier.co.uk

NB is a corrective remedial shoe in my opinion, they work great on a minority of horses and are damaging to a lot of horses. The same can be said for egg bars, heart bars, toe clipped shoes. Its all about being able to define what each horse needs by assessing the whole horse conformation watching it move and the reasons for its biomechanic deficiencies. This cant happen over night im afraid so in the mean time master trimming feet as good as you can get them, work on a balanced symmetrical shape to your shoe fit with flush fitting clips and adequate heel coverage. Nail your shoes as high and as safely as the foot allows with a finish with no rasp marks and strong clenches. That will keep 90% sound, the rest comes with experience and sharing ideas and case studies with experienced farriers.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  15. Offline

Cody Gilreath Member

I agree!
  16. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

Tejun he who drinks will never thurst..drinking up any protocol..knowledge. .or other about the equine is just another baby step in a long journey. .in survival mode people been known to drink piss to stay alive..learning can never be a bad thing imo..
  17. Offline

AnthonyLawrence Active Member

I disagree Marc. I reckon the figure is more like 97-99% :)
  18. Offline

Donnie Walker Member

TO MY CLIENTS WHO FREQUENT THIS FORUM;
    Bear in mind that the comments you have and will read under this post regarding Natural Balance Shoes" are readily identified as "opinions". Do not be alarmed by them. There is a "fact" that you must remember. Based on past history, it is safe to say that the feet of your horse, or horses, even though shod with Natural Balance Shoes, are not, have not, and will not be damaged by them. Some of you have had the same protocol for over 10 years without incident, so history defends your decision to remain with your current program.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  19. Offline

Cody Gilreath Member

20. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

So, Cody, you now stoop to the tactics of the barefoot brigands errrr brigade and attempt to support your position by posting photos of a hoof that is past due for a trim and reset. That's really not worthy of you. Some might call it disingenuous.......By the way, and this is just an observation, for those who think/have found that there should be at least equal, but preferably more, hoof behind the widest part of the hoof than in front of it, your photos show a hoof that is out of accord with that ratio............