pads

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by smitty88, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

Why are pads used alot over there?
  2. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

I wonder that, too, John. I don't use many at all. I have one horse on the book that needs a big wedge package (#3 flat and a #2 frog together) and a horse with a flat frog support with the sole area removed. Those are the only two right now
    I figure that the Lord gave them sole for a reason, so I leave it on. To change an angle I place the shoe back some.
  3. Offline

Mikel Dawson Active Member

I don't use many pads. I did put one on the other day because the horse had an abscess in the sole, so I protected it. Other than that, not really.
  4. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Where? Who? You got any pics?
  5. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

Well ho is ray selling these pads to carpenders
  6. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

If a horse wears down his hoof going barefoot, he gets shoes with pads. If a horse is used over a lot of rough territory, he gets pads. If the vet has carved a cavern in the sole looking for an abcess, he gets pads. If a horse is naturally thin soled, he gets pads. If a horse has bruised his sole, he gets pads. Sometimes a laminitic horse will get pads. If a horse is shod in the winter, he gets pads. A lot of horses over here are not ridden on roads or in grassy fields or in arenas.

I really like Ray's leather and plastic laminated pads for extra protection over rough ground.

Regards
  7. Offline

I'm calling bullshit on this thread. How can somebody from over there know how much pads are used over here?
  8. Offline

ray steele Administrator

are you commenting/bullshitting, from here or there? and where is here,and where is there? is there a market for pads,if so where? if there is....I hope I'm there!

ray
  9. Offline

Jeff Cota New Member

Is that's you, Dr. Seuss?
  10. Offline

ray steele Administrator

he used to live down the road from me......25 miles or so......not that far on some maps!
  11. Offline

ray steele Administrator

He, Was Dr Theodore Giselle ,I hope I spell checked that correct, the creator of the Dr. Suess story lines, no disrespect was intended towards this fine author, as a sign of respect, after reading his prose to my six children over the years, I guess a little sunk in.

Now back to our regular scheduled banter!

regards to all
    Ray
  12. Offline

Pics?
  13. Offline

ray steele Administrator

google destinations or gps,.................you guys and your pics, you seem to want all the work done for you!

Ray
  14. Offline

michael mackie New Member

in Australia pads are rarely used. and we have some harsh conditions too. i never pad a bruised foot. however i did use a castle wedge pad with frog support on a foot (i had to import these pads, cause not available in Australia), i can,t make a heartbar with wedged heels. the horse is now out of the pad, and competing.
  15. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Michael,

I think a lot of shoeing protocol is dictated by geographical history, that is how it s been done before and type of discipline that are followed.
    example American Saddlebreds, Morgans and Tennessee Walking horses, breeds often known for being padded at times,but might not be quite the prevalence say in Australia, France or The British Isles as in parts of North America.

kinda like food habits.think fast foods.

That said, there in my estimation has been an increase of pad use here than say in the 1970,80s, and some of that increase could have come from the use of pads getting the job done on the breeds mentioned and learning that they might in fact help out the short footed horse also when and if the need arises, as the equine population grew so did the pad market.

Along with winter pad increase use based upon folks are useing their horses more in winter time than what they used to.

Ray
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

Tom most of what we see via whatever form of media "over here " nearly always seem top involve some sort of pad , whilst I dont give a xxxx , those trying to promote their "excellence " as equine foot experts like to impress us with their extras , that little bit that makes them look and sound that bit better than us mere mortals outside of their domain , i would have though that is reciprocal with our obsession with handmades ? lol
  17. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

I actually use pads of some sort on about 1 out of 10 horses. Different pads/padding for different reasons. Except in the winter. Then I use pads on 100% of shod horses.

Edit to add: If you folks from across the pond were shoeing in Maine in the winter, you would be using pads too, or you would onky be trimming.

Regards
  18. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Chris,

if it always seems to involve pads ...... over in the states....... and for me ,who makes leather, plastic ,aluminum, wool and composites of many, yet in my practice most horses only see steel, no pads at all .........what sites are you visiting that promote all the pads?

To follow up, what percentage of hand mades vs baggers,kegs ,premades do you and others......over there..where ever, over there is, do you , or most of the daily farriers put on (added after original post) vs handmades at the horse,including plates,egg bars,bars alis of all fashion etc. I ll put up a pint that it s not far off of the otherof the developed farriers world as a whole and probably a whole lot less than in developing countries .

not sure what/which above mortals have been trying to impress you and your following, but to me,what works /works(added after original post) in your sand pile, where ever your sandbox is.......what doesn t.... don t........... end of story!

regards

ray
  19. Offline

I don't base my opinion of the deductive reasoning capacity of all of the farriers in Europe based on what I've seen posted in the media.
  20. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

Ray the ? and comment did not come from me , I was trying to encourage sensible debate