Pictures for Jack....WLD

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by grimwood, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Offline

grimwood Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378482763.790198.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378482778.672796.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378482933.188150.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378482949.154317.jpg

Pic 1&2 are getting Sigafoos next week. Pic 3&4 was another horse that had WLD and I was able to tack on a practice bar shoe I had in the Back of my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
  2. Offline

Mike Maddix Member

what are you going to do to the feet before you wrap'em up in sigafoos?
  3. Offline

grimwood Member

They are keeping the horse in boots and I should have enough growth across the toe and heels. I'll sprinkle copper sulfate crystals in the around the previously debrided area and apply the sigafoo. That's my plan. Any other ideas?

4. Offline

Mike Maddix Member

I just worry about the wld getting locked in. Im sure youve seen the wall separation thread in general discussions. There is a nice recipe for clearing that issue up.
  5. Offline

grimwood Member

They have been treating the horses with white lightening for a couple of weeks. They are alternating with thrushbuster now. I fit fronts for the mare and measured for the Sigafoos. But I have that same concern. Thanks!

6. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

personally I would keep it open , clean and dry until it grows out a lot more...but that's me..
  7. Offline

Mikel Dawson Active Member

I've had great success with White lightening. Works great for cleaning up the gunk. When I've had to apply a shoe, the white lightening gel is great between the hoof and shoe. Also another thing I have used is if I've cleaned out an area and there is a space in the white line, I then pack it with Magic Cushion. Have had great results from this as well.
  8. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

Mike do you have 3 clips on that shoe?
  9. Offline

AnthonyLawrence Active Member

That's a great idea, I'll definitely give that a whirl here.
  10. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

3 is a prime number.
  11. Offline

I like Magic Cushion best for packing under a sole also because I never get thrush due to the fact bacteria can't live in the pine pitch it is made from.
  12. Offline

Here is an example how I use Magic Cushion. Really like it for this .

Annette B 001.JPG

You can see the remaining hole.

Annette B 002.JPG

I pack full enough so when the shoe is applied, it pushes out.
  13. Offline

This is one of the fronts. Before anyone comments that the toe clip isn't centered, it is where I wanted it. Over the crack to help hold in the Magic Cushion. Each of the fronts had a hole like the back, so I cleaned, filled with Magic Cushion, the put the clip over to keep any excess moisture out.
    Annette B 004.JPG
  14. Offline

grimwood Member

Smitty,
    If you are talking about the picture in the first post, yes I pulled a quarter clip on the medial side and then pulled a Toe/Quarter Clip and a clip at the heel on the lateral side to keep the nails from sheering. Maybe overkill, but these horses live on the side of a hill.
  15. Offline

Mikel, How much do you pay for a tin of magic cushion there? I just priced it up here... $111 for a liter :whistle:

CuSO4 is $3.00 per kg (which is generally what I use, mixed with a bit of goop, where you have used the MC in the photo)

I like the idea of using the MC, but sheesh!!!!
  16. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Anthony,

I don t get the "sheesh", if it works for the application,how expensive is it really, MC or whatever else works, how many applications does an liter allow? I think I understand where your coming from , but it ,in my opinion ,should not weigh entirely on the cost of one product vs another, especially if one products does the job and the other doesn t,or if the time frame might bring the end cost to comparable .

ray
  17. Offline

I pay 611 dkr, or $109 as current exchange rate. I'm inclined to agree with Ray, this stuff works for me, and as to the price, I charge a little bit for every time I use it, so the cost is passed on - so? The end result is what I like. I enjoy pulling a leather pad and smelling the MC instead of thrush. Or in this case, when I pull the shoe there is no black gunk in the hole.
  18. Offline

Fair enough Mikel.
  19. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

Anthony,

I usually clean the "black hole", pack it with CS, and plug it with Keratex hoof putty. I did one today. It usually works.

But like Mikel, I love the magic cushion under pads - it really leaves a nice sole. I guess I'll have to give the magic cushion a try for the black holes, when I use a shoe. It sounds easier than the CS and Keratex application.

One good thing about the Keratex, is you can use it without a shoe to hold it in. When I come back to it, even if it has occasionally come out, the sole is a nice green/grey color from the CS being absorbed. Not a very welcoming environment for bacteria. ;o)

Regards
  20. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

Grimwood.... I have found covering decaying wld with a sigfoo is tuff and a constant battle..it be great if we could just lay up the horse until we have it under control..but i aint found a client willing to go with that program. here is one way I have been approaching it ..before you go on with ur sigafoo really measure out the hoof and where the treatment areas are so you can find those exact spots after the foot is covered. .put on you sigafoo as normal. .after it sets up go back with a dremmel tool and dremmel out the treatment areas ..this will allow you and client to treat thru the full cycle. .if its alot and not tracks you may have to section off your treatment areas and do it in segments so you dont loose the integraty of the cuff..
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List