Plain stamp shoes

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by Zach's Horseshoeing, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Offline

Zach's Horseshoeing Member

How much traction ? If any is lost with plain stamped shoes on a trail horse ?
  2. Offline

Jack Evers Active Member

Traction doesn't concern me much on a trail horse, wear does. Where I am, the west side of the valley is clay, a crease, rim, concave will fill with dirt, give dirt on dirt traction and wear better. The east side of the valley is sandy, the crease says clean, the dirt on dirt is lost and a plain stamp wears longer.
  3. Offline

Zach's Horseshoeing Member

I'm just wanting to make more shoes for feet and was thinking about starting with plain stamps. I do have a dozen or more in concave now.
  4. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

it's whether or not the client thinks the plain stamps are slick. Grant Moon did tell me that he liked plain stamps on AQHAs cause when the trainer shanked them backwards down the aisle daily, the plain stamps were slick enough that they didn't shear any nails or lose shoes.lol
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

Damn if that aint the truth..lmao.. i was at a barn today doing some retired english horse where boards cheap..they was running poles..to in shorts snatching the hell out the horses..
  6. Offline

Josh Ramsey Member

IMO whatever traction a crease offers is pretty negligible. You get more traction from the dirt held in by the shoe. If it's still a concern leave the nails a touch proud.

Concave has more traction because of it's profile and the fact that it keeps a better edge as it wears. Keg shoes and handmade fullered shoes will get rounded. . .no edge, no traction

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2