Polo ponies

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by gary evans, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Offline

gary evans old and slow

Does anyone have pics of shoeing of polo ponies they could post?
    I'd like to see how others do it.
    Thanks,
    Gary
  2. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

i will try and get some Gary ,maybe we can meet up and i can show you , i cannot crack this posting job . every thing is fitted penny on a penny with a single studhole outside heel on the hinds , and hunter heel all round , shod every 4 weeks 3/4 x 5/16 concave
  3. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

Chris i go with 3/4x3/8 or lighter
  4. Offline

some of the pros want 5/8x 5/16 in front or even ally plates ,they all say 3/4 x 3/8 is too heavy , they are in charge they ride the horse they call the shots , they know from experience what works best for their style , i see a lot on the yards we go onto that are in 3/4 x3/8 upright heels with a bit of width and length but they are not high goal horses and their farriers are forever replacing lost shoes , i know one lad making a full time living just replacing lost shoes at matches/comps in english season
  5. Offline

hurlingham rules state only one studhole in the outside heel behind is permitted . high goal ponies without clips behind would lose shoes every chukka in my experience
  6. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

sorry i thought it was 3/4x 7/16 i was seeing Chris
    my eyes are playing games
  7. Offline

John how do get away with fitting those shoes you posted a month ago , the calk and feather you said for the polo ponies ?
  8. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Yep Chris you are right. They are using those kings plates and I cant get on with them. I have finished shoeing all High goal stuff as I couldnt be doing with the Gauchos telling me my job. Not the players they were cool. I did not lose many if any off the high goal boys. DSC01521.JPG DSC01510.jpg
  9. Offline

i find it the other way round but we have an argentinian farrier who is an ex pro so communication is easy with the gaucho community , they are bloody horsemen , the best i have ever come across as a group
  10. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Yep Thats why its easier for you. I still do 150 lower goal stuff and get to fix the lame ones.
  11. Offline

too much steel for me David . we use a lot of kings plates . i quite like cottams trainers a;though i have been putting some pledgers trainers on (job lot off a retired farrier)
  12. Offline

david a hall Moderator

We use as you say 3/4 3/8 and refit them all year.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  13. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Yep I use some pledgers and they are good, and I dont mind the kings plates behind, just a bit like barb wire in front. The big yard I do they ar happy with the 3/4 3/8 but as you say the high rollers arent.
  14. Offline

one thing i never quite understood is that we seem to have very little tendon lameness or sore shins , the flat horses always suffer with these problems ,yet these polo ponies are all ex flat horses
  15. Offline

david a hall Moderator

The good boys stop them with the front light and hind legs under.
  16. Offline

david a hall Moderator

You are probably right there George.
  17. Offline

doesnt really matter what we do , it will still be wrong in somebody elses eyes LOL , as long as our clients are happy thats what matters
  18. Offline

david a hall Moderator

That pic was last year and I did it again friday, Its a school pony so its probly relative.
  19. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Hell Chris we are having a thread about horse shoeing and there is air of respectability in it, do you thing it will catch on?
  20. Offline

sore shins IME always occurs with the same trainers , they use the same gallop facilities and but age factor isnt as obvious as the trainer factor , other trainers using the same facilities dont have this problem , it could be the shoeing / shoes they use the same firm