prostetics

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by chris bunting, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

anybody know if it is possible to put a prostetic on a front leg from the knee down ? a very traumatic day and i am looking at every option available at this present moment , the old lead bomb is the very last option , going to bed now I really need some sleep
  2. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member

Its been done by Redden, Patrick Reilly did one on a goat not sure about horses

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  3. Offline

DeniseMc Member

4. Offline

Platerforge Guest

Chris:

Ric Redden, DVM
    office 859-873-5294 clinic: 859-873-5282 Fax: 859-873-6589
    E-mail....Dr. Redden at reddendvm@windstream.net
    Address:
    P.O. Box 507
    8235 McCowans Ferry Road
    Versailles, Kentucky 40383 USA

He can help you; and he does this type of surgery.
  5. Offline

John Muldoon Member

Got to help Dr. Redden and Dr Carter in Washington Ok. on a mares front leg they used the steering column from a VW bug years a go and a Hind leg on a stallion we used schedule 80 pvc on that one.
    The problem with the mare was the pins that hold the prostetic on and in place wallo out and have to be redone she lived long enough to have her foal and ween it.
    The stud did not like the hind one at all. He slipped and broke the off hind and had to be put down.
  6. Offline

do you think i three legged horse could cope ? i have seen several species missing a limb that are mobile and coping well
  7. Offline

Mikel Dawson Active Member

The thing I would worry about is cronic founder from over stress, but that depends on the size, weight of the horse and also the size of the hoof I would think.
  8. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

The mare or stallion must be worth some ££££ if your even contemplating this Chris, how long does it have to be kept alive on the prosthetic for if it happens?
  9. Offline

being put in a cast and leg brace today , see what happens . Davy the horse is worth chuff all in money but after losing the family it is the reason im still here , i owe it every channel that is possible to live
  10. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

There is a phone baloney "rescue all animals prison" near me and years ago a mare escaped and had a foal while living in the bottom land near a large creek and lake in E Texas.. anyway the little colt fractured his right hind leg and the "caregivers" never could drive the mustang mare back onto property...I saw the little guy when he must have been about a year and ahalf...the fracture had set but the hindleg was way different but it could run with his mother...I told them to put a mare inheat tied up in the near pasture to the creek and that the little Stallion would lead his momma back into the property...wish I would have bet a Million dollars because that is just what the little Stallion did...they shut the gate and mother and son were home again...dumbass people running the "rescue"???
  11. Offline

i must point out that the horse is not in pain or showing any sign of distress , that is when i will say goodbye . the leg is not broken so the option of plating , screwing etc is a no go
  12. Offline

gary evans old and slow

I'm pretty sure the load on the remaining limb would be too much for it and you would end up with lameness problems in that one.

Sounds like you are talking about amputation then, Chris.
    So what's the issue?
  13. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

In that case the horse is priceless. I hope the cast and brace work out.