Razor horseshoes??

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Gary Hill, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

Ok, who out there knows anything about these horseshoes? They seem to have come from the racing world and now barrelracers are asking about them..our local Two Week Wonder that carries no forge in his rig is husseling them....any info and results would be great?
  2. Offline

Donnie Walker Member

3. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

Donnie, I have seen a video on them afew months ago but cant find it now? I saw how easy the shoes bent, and can only imagine how bad they will bend on rocks?
  4. Offline

Donnie Walker Member

I agree. I also have a client wanting a shoe developed in Finland.
    www.comboshoe.com
  5. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

What about twisting off on turns..I know standard breds don't turn that sharp...
  6. Offline

Marc Jerram FdSc AWCF www.thefarrier.co.uk

7. Offline

Platerforge Guest

I have some; they are for the purpose of the standardbred racing.
  8. Offline

Platerforge Guest

yes. I know about them......they were the prototype for no toe grabs here in the states; but the trainers wanted toe grabs; so back to the toe grabs; and I mean the 6mm regular toe [training only off on the training track] in fronts ---2mm when racing up front, but can have hinds and outer-rims and 8mm [QH toes/Louisiana toe] for some, and race in those shoes. Ex. XLT Queens 2mm fronts; but 6mm Regular toe hinds for racing is legal.
    they V-Grips are hard to clinch up and hammer clinching is not an option for most platers for the horses and trainers won't stand for it.

good shoes; like the turbo's made by Thoro'bred; but once again, made illegal on the tracks. they grab the dirt/turf with the whole foot; instead of putting all the pressure on the toe; but the trainers thought the horses won't break out of the gait fast enough; complained to the stewards; and since then, have been banned.
    ps...some might use them; I don't know anymore.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Offline

Platerforge Guest

cool......once again....looks like it is for standardbred racing.
  10. Offline

Platerforge Guest

11. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

I wish I could find the video on them? It shows them in a vice and the guy uses his hand to bend a branch down and it supposely returns to form over a few minutes or so? Now if a horse is walking through a rock parking lot wouldn't the chance of bending one branch or both happen?? I have had about 5 people call me with questions about them, there is a guy nailing them on for a few but again apparently how do ya shape them without them returning to their orginal shape? So ya just nail them on right out of the box? No wonder the newbie is using them!
  13. Offline

Zach's Horseshoeing Member

I have a friend in tx that helped design the razor shoes they are made by snap on tools they are made of tool steal and borium. He has several world champion horses using these shoes including the present world chap barrel racing horse owned by fallon. Chris will be on the womens pro rodeo show shoeing fallon's horse with these razors

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  14. Offline

jacob1 Member

I just saw a video for these today. Seems interesting. It says in the video that you can't put them in the forge. They will lose there strength.
  15. Offline

ray steele Administrator

I see we have a new member, Conny Svensson, not sure he knows much, watch him,

Ray
  16. Offline

Conny Svensson New Member

Hi Gary the Razer shoes are made of a flexible toolsteel that will follow the movements of the hoofcapsule. but they can easily be shaped like a traditional shoe. check video on http: // vimeo.com/ 58073116
    .i have used them on standard bred racehorses for seven years with great results and for the last year we have worked with Doyle Blagg and Chris Wagner in Texas to get the right shape and function for barrelracing horses. and the shoes have been tested on several barrelracers with great success
  17. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

flexible toolsteel ? please explain
  18. Offline

Conny Svensson New Member

toolsteel is a high quality steel and the way its tempered makes it flexible.
  19. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

So what happens if the horse catches a heel and bends a branch? What about its resistance to spreading?
  20. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

i know my brain is not the best but you have me beat on this one